I live in SF. My last apartment looked bad on the outside and gorgeous on the inside. Top floor of a 3 story flat. Hard wood floors, 12 ft ceilings, tons of sunlight.
The neighborhood was not great, but not the worst either.
Now, the neighbor that was a problem. We had a plug in our roof that we did not know about (and the land lord did not bother to tell us). This led into the crawl space accessable from a hole in our ceiling in the pantry. Our neighbor knew about it though. He used it to steal $3000.00 in camera equipment from me and my roommates, a couple hundred in cash, DVD players, playstation/nintendo64/dreamcast, and clothes. Over all we found we had lost about $5000 in ‘stuff’ Being a bunch of 20somethings we had no renters insurance.
The first time he did it, we had no idea how it happened. The 2nd time we clued in and I nailed that plug shut and had a rather 'terse' conversation with my landlord.
The worst part was 1. The neighbor was a convicted crack dealer (means he has a gun and likely violent). 2. We had 0 proof so the cops could/would not do a thing.
So, we never got any of our stuff back (I own nothing worth being shot by a crack dealer over). Of course it was with great satisfaction that I watched as 6 cruisers and more officers than I could count rushed his apartment and took him away after he was caught on video robbing a gas station with a gun.

jr

The upside was the excuse to upgrade my music system!

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens