Hi Mark, I like yourself am not a hard core gamer. I have friends and family that have all three systems and I think the real choice is between PS2 and XBOX. Its seems that between these the choice is really in the games that are available for each system and which ones interest you the most. I believe ( don't quote me here ) the XBOX is technically better than the PS2 but again I think the biggest factor for most people is in the games offered. My friend does run his XBOX through 5.1 so I can say the XBOX is 5.1 friendly and I "think" it has a coax out,but I can't say about the PS2.

One thing to note is I believe both Sony and Microsoft are launching new systems sometime soon so you may want to factor that in. ( I have no idea when, perhaps a real gamer can chime in here )

One thing I'll mention in case you haven't considered it is using your existing computer or even a dedicated computer. There are alot of advantages to this, upgradability, power, and alot of extra capabilities like playing MP3 (using the PC as a music server) and high definitions formats like windows new HD technology. Even using it as a mega movie library system...

Anyways that's the best I can offer from my limited experience.

One thing is for certain it is very cool playing games in full surround on a HT system with the sub turned EXTRA high!

Good Luck with it, Jag

PS: A very HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all my American Axiomite friends