The PS2 does 5.1 but it only has an optical connection. I have heard of reliability problems with the XBOX -- everyone I know with one has had it break to the point of having to get a new one. That said, it does look better than the ps2 but then again, my computer looks better than an XBOX and that is all an XBOX is -- a computer running a windows based OS. Personally, I would get a better computer and hook it up to your system before getting an XBOX, but I have a ps2 so I am biased. PS2 is better if you like RPGs (i.e. final fantasy) Also Gran Turismo (possibly the best game ever made) is PS2 only. I can't say what kinds of games xbox is good for, but IMHO they are both great systems and it is really just a matter of looking at what games you will play and going from there. BTW I have also heard of PS2s breaking down, but mostly only the older ones. Actually, if I were you I would wait untill the PS3/XBOX2 come out (next year, apparently) and then get a system.

---|---|-O <- My Kitten (Grey and White) Also, accepting donations for the MX-700