Mark, Great idea about sliding the boy around on dirt. You really want to teach him? Bring him to Cleveland for the winter.

Ravi, OH BUZZ OFF!

Dan, Thank you for the suggestion, but I rent, and don't want to give my landlord a free humidifier. What do those things cost? I've got a portable Vornado, that does a pretty good job. I've just been too damn lazy to haul it out. I hate changing the filters.

We had our first big time snowfall about a week ago. The weather folks had been predicting the storm for 3 or 4 days, but strangely, the road crews were uncharacteristically missing in action. Usually, with that much notice, they're right on top of things. Not this time. I had to run of couple of errands in the middle of the storm, and not only had the roads NOT been treated, but I didn't see one plow or salt truck until the next day. Needless to say, the roads were pretty treacherous.

Now, that combination (first snowfall, and sleeping road crews) usually can lead to some real problems while people try to remember how to drive in conditions like that, and I later did hear of a number of the standard fender benders.

But, on my errands, everybody really had their act together. All of us cut our speed to a reasonable level without creeping at 10 miles per hour. I made my journey, and returned with no problems. Usually you have at least a few idiots (like me) who can't initially adjust to having a 10 minute trip take 20 minutes, so they get into trouble. Even I was calm, cool, and collected. I was VERY impressed (and surprised).

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton