I think that makes perfect sense, Craig, and I suspect you're absolutely right. "The 405 freeway" would logically get shortened to "the 405." "Interstate 95" would logically get shortened to "I95," then ultimately to just "95."

Here in Cleveland, we mostly just use the number, or the number with "I" in front of it. " If you're coming in on I90, take it to 271, go to I480, then get off 480 at Clague, etc."

Being a speech major in college, I love, and am fascinated by, the diversity of terms used around the country. I enjoy learning what areas of the country call it "pop," and what areas call it "soda." And will those of you in the Northeast please clarify what a "frappe" is? I can't remember if it's what we here in the Midwest call a "soda" or a "milkshake, or a "malted."

Who, here, has NEVER heard the term "tree lawn"? Those who have may say so, but please don't reveal what it is. I'm curious to see how widespread, or narrow, the usage of a term like that is.

And while I'm asking questions, would somebody explain to me how Cleveland, which is 500 miles from New York City, and 2500 miles from San Francisco is included in the "Midwest"? Just guessing, I'd suspect the term started back when anything West of the Mississippi was considered "the West."

Sorry. It's obviously a lazy Saturday morning, with not much to do.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton