I grew up and learned to drive in Pittsburgh (bad traffic, lotsa steep hills/winding roads and snow), moved to Detroit and its snow & traffic (don't ask) and have been in Rochester NY for 23 years (we're talking SNOW here). I feel pretty good about my abilities in slick & slippy and have never really had a problem. Mostly because of the constant practice I guess. Also, all of those places expect snow, they get it and they are prepared to deal with it.

The most terrifying experiences I have had behind a steering wheel is when I am in someplace like Charlotte and 1/2" of snow falls. I learned VERY quickly to get off the road when something like this happens. Not worried about myself, but rather the remainder of all of the people in cars around me.

Their eyes go to triple size (not unlike Mark ), their common sense muscle shuts down, panic is on their breath and ALL OF THEM think the way to deal with it is to drive fast & take chances. You can actually hear all of their hearts beating at 3X normal. It's frightening.

Based on my vast vehicular expertise, the last thing I told my daughter (who I tortured for hours by making her slide around in a mall parking lot to learn to control the car) as she pulled out of our driveway on the way to her new home in DC was to stay off the road when it even LOOKS like it might snow. To her credit, she remembered that advice and has thanked me for it. She has lived there for 4 years now and still marvels at the way a city that size can break into a spontaneous city-wide game of bumper cars when somebody even just whispers the word "snow" under their breath.

Now I find a new threat. The old "rain brings oil" thing. Is there nowhere safe anymore?