After "auditioning" the 3910 in my home for the last few days, I'm going to say it is absolutely worth getting, IF:

- you have an HDTV with DVI or HDMI input
- you haven't recently invested money in a DVD player
- you will be smart and not buy the first HD-DVD or Blu-Ray machines on the market and instead wait a little for the kinks to get worked out (thus the expenditure won't be so close on the heels of another one)

First and foremost, the sound is incredible. It has fabulous DACs, certainly better than my not-exactly-shabby Onkyo receiver's DACs. It has a very sturdy build (as compared to the 2900, even). It also has great bass management, etc., for hi res audio playing. The macroblocking issue is, especially at 480p and 720p, invisible. It is barely perceptable at 1080i (and I mean barely).

I think the improvement in sound - bigger, deeper soundstage, in particular, make it worth justifying the expense of a new upper-tier DVD player even as the new technology dawns. The upscaling digital video output is almost a nice bonus.

I'll also add that the 3910 has digital transmission of hi-res audio, which the 2900 doesn't. Don't use it myself, though, since my receiver doesn't have Denon link or a firewire connection (or HDMI input - only my TV has that).

---- A Woofer in Tweeter's Clothing... M60s, VP150, QS8s, EP350 Onkyo TX-SR702, Denon DVD-3910