You have probably seen this, but here's another post with similar problems on a 770.

"Is it common for the 770 to cut out? I have only started to use my 950/770 recently, maybe 3 or 4 hours of use since I hooked them up, both new. I have it connected to 2 Paradigm Studio 100's, a 570 center, and 4 ADP Studio surrounds. It seems that it was running warm at nominal levels, then when I played less then 5 minutes of louder levels, it cut out. I let it sit for a few minutes,and then it cut out again after maybe 2 minutes of loud playing. I had to reset the switch in the back both times. I have it in a rack with about 8" of clearance above it. Does it need a fan on it all the time? I am shocked that it will not handle this level, as it wasn't loud enough to distort. Does this problem occur for anyone else? "

The main suggestions were :

- strand shorts in the speaker cables
- pre-amp putting out HF oscillations & overdriving the amp
- speaker impedence wacky

In this case the problems happened when listening to loud music but not when listening to movies. Problems are still there as of a couple of weeks ago. The owner lives in Canada and was concerned about the costs of shipping back to the factory for repair.

http://ubb.outlawaudio.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=000106

You've already sent the amp back, right ? If not, my next thought would be to put the rubber feet on blocks (or Habitant soup cans ) to get more space below the amp and better airflow up through the heat sinks. The feet on the 770 are big (an inch or so) but that doesn't seem like enough to convection-cool when outputting close to 2000 watts.

My personal opinion is that with the amp sitting on the feet Outlaw provides there just isn't enough airflow to keep everything cool with a bunch of 4 ohm speakers. I bet that Outlaw tests with the amp in some kind of rack that has an open bottom -- not to "cheat" but just because that's the way the lab is set up.

I bet in three months you will have the first Outlaw 770+ "Bigfoot" in your house -- if Outlaw is smart you will.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8