I heard the Diamond 9.1 last week and found it to be a significant improvement over Diamond 8 series. I thought the Diamond 9 series was basically going to be the old 8 series drivers in a new Evo-like cabinet. It turns out the 9 series also received driver, tweeter, and crossover upgrades.

Perhaps the only bad thing about Whafedale introducing the Diamond 9 series is that it caused a major price increase for the Evo series. The local dealer was told the increase was partially due to market forces (weakening US dollar). I don't believe that for a second since Diamond 8 prices did not change. I suspect Wharfedale wasn't selling enough Diamond 9's because they were too close in price to the Evo series. Anybody considering a Diamond 9 could spend a little more to get into the Evo series. The once $899 MSRP Evo-30 is now $1199 MSRP at local dealers. However, there are still a handful of internet sites selling the Evo's at old prices and well under the old MSRP.

Lastly, anybody who might consider the Diamond 9's should AB them against the Evo series. As it stands now, you can get into an Evo-30 for $695 at ReliableAudioVideo.com. If I am correct, that is roughly the price of the new 9.4's? I believe the 9.6's are $800. Might be something to consider.