Actually, the 'slam,' I enjoy in the Sony is more noticeable for HT and even digital cable TV modes than in music mode (DVD, CD or SACD). At first, I thought this quality was attributable to the Merak MC6H (2 x 6.5" drivers and a 7" x 3" horn tweeter). I picked up another for my Onkyo/Toshiba system, and note that the Sony system still has more 'slam.'

Well, as to the musicality (in 2 channel mode) of the Technics SADX 940, I suppose I could describe it as low noise floor, airy, open highs, excellent soundstage (large, high and wide), lack of compression during busy orchestral pieces, sweet accurate midrange and strong, tight bass. As to each of these qualities, the Technics is superior to the Sherwood 7090, for example, and although I used a different source, I think it's superior to the Sony STRDB 1070 as well. (the Sony's source is the Philips SACD 1070, so it is a high quality source.) The Technics demonstrated these qualities with both an 8 year old JVC CD changer (garage sale value of about $10) and an Ah! Njoe Tjoeb with Burr Brown OPA 627s, direkt power kord and upgraded Ediswan British (1964) CV2492/5358 tubes (total about $1000). Interestingly, I tried and returned the well reviewed Cambridge Audio D500SE which had blowsy bass, poor sound staging and other shortcomings.

I suppose the bottom line is the source and amplification of your system allows your speakers to reach their potential. Garbage in, garbage out ...

These are just my opinions, if you think equipment doesn't matter, or that equipment which does a good job with HT will automatically do a good job with music, you're entitled to your own opinions.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.