Chesseroo, thanks for the input. I'd be very curious to hear how you like your M60's in your living room, which seems similar to my own and brighter than your basement room. Just tell your wife it's for me and she'll understand :-).

Alan didn't weigh in on my question, but judging from the earlier post of his that you referenced I gather he's an advocate of adjusting the room rather than the speaker. I see his point. But I do object to the notion that we should all somehow create "average" listening rooms if we want nice sound. I, for one, have no desire to live like an average American, with wall-to-wall carpeting, upholstered furniture, etc. Others will make different choices. But wouldn't it be nice if loudspeakers could somehow adjust to us instead of requiring us to adjust our living spaces to their design assumptions? Not an easy task, to be sure, but I would still like to know more about how room characteristics might reasonably affect speaker choices—e.g. M3 vs. M22 or M40 vs. M60.

Thanks again.