Dear Alan,

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I love the idea of the active "smart" speaker that adjusts to the user rather than requiring the user adjust to it. But I can see that this is no easy task. Maybe one day someone will figure out how to make and market something along these lines that truly integrates the "forgotten component."

In the meantime, you will be happy to hear that I am taking to heart your suggestion to seek a better balance of soft and hard surfaces in the listening and living spaces. I've got too many animal companions with unpredictable bodily functions to go for rugs. But I have initiated inquiries about curtains with my quite shocked significant other. I'm not sure what else might help. Any suggestions are welcome. The forgotten component may turn out to be the most expensive one!

I've never much liked the current speakers in my living room, an old pair of Cambridge SoundWorks Ensemble II three-piece sub-sats, despite the rave reviews they received from Julian Hirsch and others when they appeared. I believe that whatever Axioms I choose will be much better, but I now wonder if some of my complaints (e.g., a sense of nerve-grating, tinny harshness), may indeed reflect the room more than the speakers.

I am planning to order a set of M3ti's, which will work well I think in my very small home office. I'll see how these sound in the larger room and based on the experience gained hopefully get a sense of whether more linear, and potentially brighter, Axioms would be feasible. The M50's are an intriguing suggestion.

The M3's, when permanently installed in the office, will have to be wall-mounted. Can you give us any sense of when the Axiom "Full Metal Bracket" might become available?

Thanks again.