I think the intent on making an 'average' room is to test their product in a setting outside of the physical measuring rooms like the NRC anechoic chamber. Certainly many people in a home will have a window or perhaps light carpeting in their living space so i don't think the choice of those items is far fetched.
Of course there is no real definition of what is in an average joe's living room, so as Alan had mentioned in his post, they used some industry standard as a template for how they built it.
Of course they could build maybe one or two other similar rooms with slightly different furnishings such as hard floors and walls with less coverings to possibly similate a more extreme, or more bare listening area that may occur in some houses, such as yours and mine.
However, i think the company can only go so far before the number of listening rooms they could potentially build would be out of control. That being said, it still comes down to this, if the Axiom speaker is too bright for your living room (or perhaps any highly reflective room) after you give it an audition, then yes, perhaps the Axiom speaker choice should be re-evaluated against some other brands.
It would be much easier to choose another speaker brand than to have to refurnish your room around your speakers.

If i have time i will try my M60s upstairs this weekend.

You may also want to check out these reviews in which some ppl have auditioned several Axiom models:

randymans post

fhw posts

Last edited by chesseroo; 02/18/03 09:38 PM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."