Thankfully it's funny now, but gay tennis leagues sprang up because the tollerance found today was not the same 20 years ago. Homosexuality and sports can be a volitile mix. Sports has a very masculine/macho image, and many athletes try very hard to live up to it. If that means beign a complete pr*&k towards others that don't fit neatly into that image...you get the picture.

That being the case, gay sports leagues are very popular. A nelly queen can be a nelly queen and play tennis just like Chris Everett and not have to worry about it in a gay league. With the growing tollerance in society towards the g/l community, more and more gay athletes are competing in standard USTA events. (My coach just won a 6.0 event in fact!) I'm sure some day the idea of a gay tennis league will seem rather funny...I don't think we're quite there yet though.

One thing that really puzzles me is football. Possibly the most macho sport on the planet, yet straight guys are patting each other on the butt all the time. What the heck is that all about?