Just to clear up one or two things:
First, i think Troy may be referring to the review i posted on the EP350 and SVS PCi back here for the comparison b/w the two subs.
I agree that a PCi 20-39 would have been a better matchup against the EP350, but that was noted in the review. Unfortunately the SVS owner did not want a lesser model and hence the 16-49 was all i had to audition.
I do wish he had at least bought the Plus version though. I hear the driver is much better than the pulp cone of the lesser models.

Second, there are no duties on these speakers coming to Canada, only taxes and shipping. Since taxes come from Axiom as well, the only difference in speaker price comes from shipping. There can be a brokerage fee but it is usually rather insignificant (we are talking about units over 1k already so another thirty or forty bucks is irrelevant) depending on the shipping company. NAFTA is in effect for loudspeakers and i'm sure the folks at Axiom are happy with such arrangements. Keeps the prices even lower for the Americans buying Axiom.

Third, wattage is a hard thing to put into perspective. Although the idea of doubling wattage might add x dB of sound applies, it also depends on the build quality of the amp section. I've opened the amp section of the EP350 before and its not particularly stunning. I had a larger amp section in a 10 yr old Technics bookshelf system rated at a whopping 30w/ch over 2 channels. The EP350 amp does the job, but compared to the beefier components in the newer EP500/600 amp sections, it is rather weak. The flat curve idea is also researched by the likes of SVS and hence toting the new EP series as 'better' in this regard is debateable at this point.
Room will still be the final factor on observed frequency response.
All of these subs are still excellent choices and each will do a very good job, of that i have no doubt.

Lastly, there is a Hsu dealer in the Peg now. I believe Bren bought his at American Hifi.

Last edited by chesseroo; 04/18/05 09:35 PM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."