I purchased an admiral portable stereo with a fold down turntable back in . . . well let's just say Rod Serling was still alive then. I thought the hinged speakers were pretty good. They ended up in the back seat of my '61 Catalina when I installed that kick ass under dash 8 track player. I later purchased a Harman Kardon receiver which came with some cheap ultralinear speakers. The HK went poof in a couple years. I was without tunes for about a year. I couldn't stand it any longer, went into Team electronics and picked up a Technics stereo receiver, and replaced the speakers with some Ultralinear 5 way towers. This all took place before 1980. In the mid 80s, the Technics receiver, which was showing signs of age went to son #1 along with the towers. I picked up a cheap Pioneer receiver at BB paired with some Technics floorstanders which I thought sounded better than the Ultralinears. The Pio was an early dpl receiver, but I ran it 2 channel. Another decade went by and son #1 talked me into purchasing a Yamaha receiver, which I ordered from J&R. He also told me that the Technics just didn't cut it, since he had purchased PSBs. He had also added a PSB sub, from that time on I have been itching to upgrade. HE DID THIS TO ME. I ordered a JBL sub to go with the Yamaha, so, of course I needed some quality speakers to complete the scenario. I tried a pair of B&W 602s3 bookshelves feeling certain they would be my dream mains. That was a big oops! I was down in the dumps and all set to live the rest of my natural life listening to a pair of paper coned Technics(ca 1978} I entertained PSBs for awhile, but didn't want to purchase from the same store that had sold me those awful B&Ws. I found this crazy website with looking wedge shaped speakers, which I though were really cute, found a message board and received some good advice from the likes of Spiff, Cheeseroo, and Alan. I slowly, but surely, was hauled in and now I own a 5.1 setup for the first time in my life. Oh yeah, I forgot about those Yamaha NS-555s I had for 3 weeks before I ordered the m22s. I still get a chuckle everytime I read an online message detailing the strengths of the 555s.