I started getting interested while I was getting replacement needles for the record player off of the tree in the back yard out by the barn-the needles on this tree were about an inch long and sharp as a real "needle". They would play 78s for quite a while til they finally got dull. Then I got into Hi-Fi with one of those consoles the size of a coffin on legs. Followed by a "Stereo" that was a near-cardboard box with two speakers that looked like "ears" on either side.

Then I discovered "Separates" in the mid 60s. I had a Teak 7010(I think)reel to reel with tin foil auto-reverse. A Sony PL3000 turntable with a tone arm that reminded one of a Bofors anti-aircraft gun. And a matched Sony tuner and amp that looked like it was hand made by Japanese Doctors in a clean room-it was an immaculate set. Also a glorious set of...um...uh..Ja...Ja..er...speakers.

Guess I'll get married now-back in '67

Let's jump ahead some thirty years or so to "Home Theater"(in a box) A fabulous Aiwa Z-VR55 with 5-disc cd changer and dual(noisy)tape drives, real 5.1 with Dolby pro-logic! Teency rears and a tiny center with good sized mains that produce a soundstage like orchestral soup.

I thought I'd replace the speakers first-let's see, who's on-line making good speakers these days?