Need room painting & molding advice
#130037 03/01/06 05:03 PM
R
Ray3 Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
R
Need some advice on a couple of things. I’m at work, so pictures aren’t available.

The drywall in my 20’x 28’ basement room is done and last night I applied primer/sealer to the walls. For the walls, we have chosen a dark brick color and the primer was tinted dark gray to provide better coverage for the paint. The walls on the steps going into the basement, molding and basement doors will be covered in an antique off-white that was mixed to match the color of the leather sofa; the primer for the off-white paint is white.

The issue involves the ceiling areas that are boxed in because of beams and HVAC. There are 2 boxes around the beams (bottoms are 8” wide). The third box is much larger and covers the HVAC and pipes (bottom of this area is about 24” wide). I will be putting in a drop ceiling and will anchor the sides to the boxed in areas. My question – what color do I paint the sides and/or bottom of the boxed in areas? My initial thought is brick on the sides (there will be exposed areas below the drop in ceiling) and off-white on the bottoms. The ceiling tiles will be white.

Second question. Do I want to put molding around the top of the wall against the drop ceiling channels or just leave the channels exposed?

I’ll be doing more painting tonight, so input will be appreciated.

Ray

Re: Need room painting & molding advice
#130038 03/01/06 06:18 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Greetings, my friend!

What, you think we're a bunch of interior decorators or something? Actually, reflecting upon many of the beautiful rooms posted here, I guess your question might actually get some good advice.

But not from me.

Since opinions are free and I have no intention of discussing the merits of tube v. solid-state paint applicators, I'm going to suggest that the underside of your boxes be pure white like the drop-ceiling tiles. My vision (which requires thick trifocals, btw) is that the off white will provide neither harmonious contrast nor continuity with the trim elements. I would be inclined to have those beam-bottom surfaces blend in with the ceiling.

I like your idea of painting the vertical surfaces brick to match the walls. Seems like the contrast will be very attractive.

But, really, you should be asking Mrs. Ray3.

It is wonderful to hear from you.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#130039 03/01/06 07:01 PM
local
local
This site might help some.

Behr paints

Last edited by KC23; 03/01/06 07:09 PM.
#130040 03/01/06 08:16 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Thanks KC.
That link is excellent.

We are trying to decide on a good hallway colour and although i have a decent Home Design program, the colour palette is not as easy and quick as the one on that Behr site.
Just fantastic!

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#130041 03/01/06 09:17 PM
R
Ray3 Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
R
Thanks guys. Tom, you are correct; I had forgotten that I should always ask my wife for my opinion.

Chess, it's been awhile. A note of caution on the paint choice. Reds are difficult and Behr seems to be problematic (based on research and experience). If going for a red, be sure to get a dark gray tinted primer. Also, I was advised to allow 3 days drying time between coats to give the oxides used in the reds to expel the gasses involved.

#130042 03/01/06 09:47 PM
axiomite
axiomite
It's kind of funny Ray. I've heard many different opinions on the best paints and preferences from numerous people (salesmen, online forums, friends, contractors). I believe alot of the differences are the result of other factors such as house temperature, humidity, volume applied, method of application and surface quality. We actually used almost all Behr in our recent home reno b/c the Benjamin Moore paints that were so highly recommended were just not going on the walls very well.
Too thin, too many coats needed to get the paint colour right.
We have also tried Ralph Lauren paints in the past but found them to be thick and too quick in drying. They also 'dissolved' their own recommended sponge applicator if you can believe it!

As for the red paint thing, i'm not so sure i understand the information given to you. Oxides (especially reds which are probably iron tints) will not release any gases. They are solid and usually highly stable particles. If you use an oil based paint then some off gassing will come from the paint solvent, typically a hydrocarbon of some sort (spray cans often have toluene or xylene for this purpose).
Everything we have used in the house was water based, including the wood stains. I painted my new basement office in a Behr red (called Burnt Mahogany) and it was painted twice in two days with excellent results!
It covered so well, we didn't bother with a third coat.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#130043 03/01/06 10:29 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
My experience sounds like yours, Chess.

We have always had quite good luck with Behr paints (through Homeless Despot). My understanding is that there may likely be regional differences to the formulations. However, our experience has been great; the stuff goes on like pudding, covers great and does not stink to high heaven either.

Mrs. Tuttle painted our family room a deep red. It had previously been a color easily discerned by everyone in the family as "Calf-sh*t brown". Since the underlying shade was not "bright", the red covered very well (rich and gorgeous at two coats in two days). Other friends attempting this enterprise over "white" have had five-coat frustration. So, Ray's advice to use tinted primer is excellent.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,489
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 1,544 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup