Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Projector shortlisted but Canadian dealer issu
SirQuack #197044 02/19/08 06:59 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Just to clarify, the Epson has 97% vertical shift (when not shifted horizontally, the more you shift horizontally, the less you can shift vertically, etc.). It is one of the most flexible PJ's I found in that regard. However, this is manual, not automatic, from the remote which for some folks is a huge PITA.

It's correct that it will not work with an anamorphic lens, which in my HT wasn't an issue. For some though, agreed, it's a deal killer.

Epic 80-800: HG Cherry
myrison #197065 02/19/08 08:35 PM
devotee
devotee
what he said.

skyhawk669 #197117 02/20/08 01:11 AM
A
veteran
veteran
A
Check out this site. Its how i learned about projectors!

http://www.bigscreenforums.com/

M60 M3 VP100 VP150 EP175 Q4
PanyPTAE1000U LCD HD projector 120"
Yamaha RX-V3800 PS3 20g, 360 ELITE

arcticair #197118 02/20/08 01:15 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
projector central is the best in my opinion, expert reviews and not forum opinion. \:\)

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

myrison #197205 02/20/08 01:36 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: myrison
Good news here for those worried about fan noise with the Epson.

Comments on Fan Noise from 1080UB User

And, to be fair... now some bad news on the fan: Annoying Fan Noise - 1080UB

Someday soon.... I know mine will arrive and I can give you my own opinion... The wait is unbearable! \:\(

Epic 80-800: HG Cherry
myrison #197224 02/20/08 03:46 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Remote focus is cool, but also an aggravation because it's an exercise in patience to get it right. I'd prefer to have manual focus and use binoculars.

michael_d #197276 02/20/08 07:42 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Thanks folks,
Been away for a few days so just coming back and reading the great discussion. Thanks for the hint on Quebec Acoustics. I gave them a call and I got a very good impression from them. I was mainly asking about the Panasonic but asked about the Epson as well. They were offering the $300 rebate but not the extra bulb. I find that odd as usually manufacturer direct outlets try to never undersell their resellers.

The Epson UB model seems the way to go but if I get the regular 1080, it is still a great projector and I might have some money left to invest in a new couch/seating. Otherwise I'll be sitting in a very uncomfortable old couch for 1st row and second row will have to come later.

I can't remember if I ever posted my sob story, but we lost a bunch of furniture and stuff in storage to mold the fall before last, just before our new house was built. (Note to others: Most insurance policies do not cover mold.) We bought replacement living room furniture but we are operating on an old loaner in our TV room at the moment.

As for projector noise, I think I'll be OK with it. My understanding is that in low mode, it is actually pretty quiet. My room is totally light controlled and the projector is naturally very bright so I expect to be in low mode 90% of the time. Exceptions might be during Superbowls, Grey and Stanley Cups. I expect human created, ambient noise to be way above the projector's levels during those times.

I think I am pretty much sold on being able to get a top 3 projector in it's class for a net cost of just under 2k after factoring in the rebate and the spare bulb. Having a spare bulb around seems like a good idea.

The UB is definately the one I'd recommend to friends but saving 1000 bucks and still being confident that I will be happy in the end, works a lot better for me.

NEXT QUESTION:
I am trying really hard to buy some product at a local AV shop that I continually find to be not only helpful but also honest, even if when it means they might lose a sale.

They used to be a Draper dealer for screens but moved to Mustang as they thought that Draper quality was good but not matching it's premium price tag. Now they sell Mustang. They can give me a really good deal on a Mustang 106" Electric.

I was more interested in a fixed frame but at $345 I'm tempted. However, I seen a few posts about Mustang screens letting some light bleed through, thus losing some color depth. When I asked them about this, he said that early model Mustangs and all their fixed screens were acoustically transparent materials, thus naturally let a tiny amount of light bleed through the porous material. He doesn't think the Electric drop model is an acoustic transparent screen but is going to double check. I have no use for an acoustically transparent screen at this time

? = Anybody have any personal experience with Mustang and anybody have screen movement issues with a pull down model. I recognize Mustang is not top of the line but this is a budget room so starter equipment is fine.

In fact, I read a lot of good things about using a 50-80 $ piece of specific brand and color Laminate. I'd really love to give my local shop some business but if Mustang doesn't work out, I might just try the laminate. I read posts where folks used actual meters to measure light reflection and color and results were as favorable as many screens on the market today.

Sorry, long post.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #197279 02/20/08 08:03 PM
devotee
devotee
 Originally Posted By: Murph
Thanks folks,
Been away for a few days so just coming back and reading the great discussion. Thanks for the hint on Quebec Acoustics. I gave them a call and I got a very good impression from them. I was mainly asking about the Panasonic but asked about the Epson as well. They were offering the $300 rebate but not the extra bulb. I find that odd as usually manufacturer direct outlets try to never undersell their resellers.

The Epson UB model seems the way to go but if I get the regular 1080, it is still a great projector and I might have some money left to invest in a new couch/seating. Otherwise I'll be sitting in a very uncomfortable old couch for 1st row and second row will have to come later.

As I understand it the $300 and free bulb are a mail in rebate direct from Epson. You'd pay full price up front, send in the coupon, UPC etc, and they'd send you the rebate check and bulb later. If the dealer is just giving you the $300 off the top then it's a different deal (not sure what they'd be doing with the "coupon").

As with computer systems, the vitally important yet often overlooked component is seating. If you are uncomfortable it doesn't matter how nice the picture is, you'll be unhappy. A nicer couch with a marginally "inferior" projector will garner more satisfaction.

Not much I can say about screens. I'm still using the generic white wall in the living room. Still quite satisfied with the picture, although I imagine I'll be using a proper screen whenever I upgrade to HD.

M80s/VP160/QS8s/EP350; M22s; M3s.
doormat #197281 02/20/08 08:11 PM
devotee
devotee
Some fine print from Epson:

Claims will not be accepted if receipt shows retailer deducted the rebate amount at the time of purchase. Some retailers may require use of their own in-store coupon to claim this rebate; please check your receipt or ask the retailer at time of purchase.

This offer is not valid for purchases made in store or online at Best Buy, Future Shop, Staples Business Depot or at any educational institution.

If he's just cutting the price up front, you'd be out the price of a spare bulb. Assuming, that is, that Epson doesn't renege on the mail-in.

Last edited by doormat; 02/20/08 08:15 PM.

M80s/VP160/QS8s/EP350; M22s; M3s.
doormat #197282 02/20/08 08:14 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Sorry I was not specific. The retailers rebate for 300 was indeed of the mail in variety, not off the top. Just found it odd he wasn't aware of the free bulb. In hindsight, I wonder if he wasn't accidentally looking at the rebate for the UB model which is 200 but no bulb. His pricing seemed bang on though.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters