Print Thread
Rate Thread
I finally bought my m40's
#28545 12/22/03 03:47 PM
ay4747 Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
Hi everybody, this is my second post on this forum and i am glad to share here my experience on the audio stuff ( please excuse my english writing if mistakes are found ) .

I specially thanks CHESSEROO for his reply to my first post; his post greatly helped me decide witch of the m40's or m50's should i buy. I wanted to know the sound difference in between the 40's and the 50's and his post witch include an old post from FHW ( thank also to him ) was the answer to all my questions. Also i wrote about my deceptions about my Mission freedom 754 loudspeakers and specilly about their lack of low frequency.

Now that i have said this, i am glad to announce that this last saturday, i have sold my Mission754. These supposed performance loudspeaker and the companys flagship loudspeaker paid $1200 ( $Can ) 6 month ago ( and this was a good price, knowing it could costed more if bought in late 1997 ) , i have sold it for half the price paid. Maybe the guy who bought it made a deal , but my deception about its lack of low's and all the reading on Axiom loudspeakers reviews made me took this decision.

So, i've also ordered my M40's this Sunday and hope receive it before Christmas ( i must be dreaming ) so that i can hear the sound quality difference in between these and my Mission's. I hope that i've made the good choice . The m40 would have cost me the return price of the Mission plus $95 , so i hope that this exchange worth the difference.

I will write back my satisfactions ( and hopefully no deception ) as soon has i've listen to my m40's.

Also feel free to add any commentary on this choice or the Mission's loudspeakers

Re: I finally bought my m40's
#28546 12/22/03 06:52 PM
axiomite
axiomite
ay4747,
I hope that the M40s give you the quality speaker you are looking for but i also hope you are not expecting them to have a ton of low end bass.
In taking a quick look at the Mission 754 (assuming this here is the correct model), i would say that both speaker brands could require a subwoofer to dramatically improve the volume of sound in bass.

The bass of my M60s was less than what i originally expected but i previously had owned a very boomy system. However, the Axiom bass can be described as very accurate and tight. If you are looking for rattling, shaking and heavy booming type bass i would still recommend you add a subwoofer to your system.

Let us know your impressions of the M40s once they arrive. Give yourself a good couple of days of listening with a variety of music and movies before you make any decisions or final opinions.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Re: I finally bought my m40's
#28547 12/23/03 07:26 PM
ay4747 Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
Hi , Chesseroo this is the good link to the Mission 754.
They say " The Mission 754 Freedom 5 is our flagship loudspeaker system. It offers ultra wide bandwidth, uncompromised performance while, like the 753f, remaining in an elegant and visually attractive piece of furniture.
The advanced bandpass design of the system, using a massive motor low frequency unit with an ultra-long throw voice coil, provides exceptional deep bass energy without the overhang and distortions associated with lesser designs. This results in a fast, deep, coherent and clean bass."
This last phrase in that company's writing is totally false. I have a Kenwood Vr-3100 receiver; this was the first top reveiver named "Sourvereight" ( excuse the spelling if bad ) from Kenwood in late 90's ; it is not the best receiver like NAD or McIntosh etc... but it gives a very good sound; anyway... maybe should i expect that my receiver could be the faulty equipment and this would be why i didn't get this deep bass from my Mission, even when selecting loudness=on and setting the bass to maximum.
But before selling my mission, i've made a test; i've put my new M3ti onto the top of my Mission and connected/disconnected them alternatively, and listening music allways with the same volume and bass controls setups exactly the same level.

Result : Wow ! and surprised ! these little M3ti gave me the same rich and clean medium and hight's, but maybe with just a little bit more bass than my Mission. Also, since i've sold my Mission, i've left my m3ti connected, and i think that the m3ti are more clear and easy listening with a bit more bass at low volume than my Mission.

I don't expect for rattling, shaking and heavy booming type bass since these loudspeakers are used primely for music stereo listening , but knowing what these little M3ti can do , i can surely imagine what should give the M40's. I think that with the M40's there will be no more needs for setting the loudness and bass control to maximum , and when i'll want some more, i'll just turn on the bass control more and more if needed .

I will write back my impression as soon as i've listened a couple of hours my new M40's.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,483
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Cork), 442 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup