Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14
Re: Which Power Source for M60ti? Newbie.
brendo #434762 12/14/19 09:46 PM
M
shareholder in the making
M
Originally Posted By brendo
But they are totally related due to if we switched the polarity it would in turn switch the Phase.

Indeed. Switching the polarity changes the phase by 180 degrees.

I learned the 9 volt battery trick from Mr. Nakamura in grade 10. It was actually a 1.5V battery trick at the time.

P.S. In grade 11 I learned a few more tricks from Sheila and Lisa. I perfected those in grade 12 with Crystal.

Last edited by Mojo; 12/14/19 09:52 PM.
Kodiak #434763 12/15/19 03:50 AM
Kodiak Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Thanks mojo. GREAT info. That actually makes sense. I’ve re read that a few times. Maybe the answer is in your description but here’s another question..... with 180 deg phase switch I get it. Flip the polarity and the waves synch. I understand when you say that speakers aren’t perfect but where would the timing inequality come from? The source? The amplifier? Micro Inequalities in the woofer/tweeter/speaker construction? Probably all of those I guess.

As for a result of fuzzy sounds and emotionally confusing that makes sense too. Good one. So if I follow that thinking then some minor out of phase artifacts could affect soundstage clarity and positioning too.

Man this stuff is really interesting. Thanks guys. So those active Lfr 1100 must be INCREDIBLE clear and precise.

Thanks again for the schooling.
Feel free to correct any of musings, it’s just me thinking out loud. I really enjoy the nitty gritty and the details and the science of how this stuff works.

Sooooo many good jokes in response to perfecting tricks but I’ll leave it alone for fear of being banned from the forum. Ha.

M60ti Hafler9505 & JFET Pre,Axiom Transformer. M3 Marantz PM7200 Dual 606 Denon 2700 M2 Yammy RX595
Kodiak #434764 12/15/19 04:25 AM
M
M
All three of those high school ladies were incredible athletes and they taught me valuable tennis and badminton skills. Not sure what y'all were thinking.

The timing inequalities come from many areas as you've hinted. There are so many possible variations within the components of a single driver alone: permanent magnet, voicecoil construction, driver, spider, surround. Now consider how impossible it is for multiple drivers within a system like the M60 to move in perfect unison. Even if they were impossibly perfect in design and manufacturing execution, once they are placed in a room, room boundary conditions enter into the equations of motion of the drivers and the resulting solutions are non-linear and hence the resulting sound would be distorted in time (phase) and amplitude. Physics always wins!

Add to this the fact that the electrical signal has to propagate through the crossover filter network which introduces frequency-dependent time (phase) delays. Also the components that comprise the filter drift in value not only with time but also volume (gain), temperature and humidity and that drift also affects phase shift.

And yes, all this affects imaging and soundstage. Images may waver in space, they may be indistinct by being smudged together and their shapes may be ill-defined. There is no question any of my v4 speakers are superior to my old v2 in the imaging and soundstage departments. As you move from v4 M3/M50 to M5 to M100, the soundstage expands, you can see more images, the space between images expands and they become clearer. The active LFR takes things to an absolutely superlative level as if the already terrific eyeglasses I had with the M100 were of inferior glass.

The active LFRs are far more accurate. It is as simple as that. Have a look at the frequency response curves of the M5, M100, passive LFR and active LFR. They tell a story. Note how the listening window and sound power curves of the active LFR are nearly identical. Show me another speaker that can do that.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
Kodiak #434823 12/18/19 09:38 PM
Kodiak Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Those lfr’s sound truly inspiring. I really feel like axiom is under rated. Man I’ve read some hateful and uninformed reviews out there. Am I missing something? Not sure why people are so up in arms over certain things. Crazy. Anyway......

I’m still working on getting my vocals centered. Been trying playing with positioning. Move far away from walls etc. Checked bi wire connectors. All is as it should be. Phase polarity is correct. Some tracks do have the vocals centered when I have the m60s far away from the walls ( side and front walls) but they are much closer together. I played with toeing in and out too.

Other tracks still have the vocals dominating to the right channel. There’s times when it sounds like the left channel is quieter ....... maybe? I can hear sound and feel movement of all woofers bass/ mid and tweet too.

The next move I think is to swap the speakers and see if the soundstage stays the same or changes. That way I can eliminate that it’s the speaker and is something else.

Maybe it’s just inexperience with how things are supposed to sound? I mean it still sounds AMAZING , down right beautiful , but the image is just not centered.

Any other thoughts on this?

M60ti Hafler9505 & JFET Pre,Axiom Transformer. M3 Marantz PM7200 Dual 606 Denon 2700 M2 Yammy RX595
Kodiak #434824 12/18/19 11:27 PM
M
M
Your idea of switching speakers is a good one.

One thing you can try is playing a signal that is the same in the left and right channels. Radio inter-station noise is a good one. Measure the voltage on each speaker. If it's the same, your amp is sending out a balanced signal. If the noise isn't focused in the centre, it could be one speaker is slightly more sensitive than the other or it could be your room.

Keep notes. If the same song presents imaging in different ways from one listening session to the next, try to note what may have changed. Could it be volume or temperature?

The Axiom tweeters use ferrofluid for cooling. If your room is cold one day and warm the next, imaging and other sound qualities can be affected. I can tell you when I had v2, I detected sound changes I could not readily explain other than perhaps the temperature of my environment. With v4, I don't hear such variations.

House of the Rising Sone
Kodiak #434826 12/18/19 11:39 PM
Kodiak Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Thanks mojo. Yeah our place is wood heat so sometimes we get lazy and it gets cold in here. Could be that for sure.

I’ll keep some notes and try the speaker swap and see what I come up with.

I bought some component spray air. I’m gonna clean out my receiver too. My one pure direct button has some static. Maybe the balance dial is off a bit / dirty too.

Any other tips to clean my receiver?
( really appreciate all the feedback from last while. ). Cheers.

Kodiak #434827 12/18/19 11:42 PM
M
M
This is an interesting method for speaker placement. The meat of it starts in the section " To WASP or not....".

http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/waspe.html

House of the Rising Sone
Kodiak #434828 12/18/19 11:46 PM
Kodiak Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Looks like agood read. I’m making a coffee now. Load up the wood stove. Here we go......

Kodiak #434830 12/19/19 12:08 AM
M
M
I am envious of the wood stove. I'd like to have a place in the deep, dark woods and graze with the wolves while howling by the light of the pale moon. When done feasting, I'd like to return to my Axioms. laugh

House of the Rising Sone
Kodiak #434831 12/19/19 12:21 AM
Kodiak Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Well it is dark and I’m in the woods here for sure. But the only howling is the screaming children and my wife and I. It’s kinda like a pack of wolves. But not quite what you’re thinking of. The only feast around here is grilled cheese.

My other hobby other than 2 channel audio is wood stoves. Wood heat is absolutely fantastic. This forum and a wood stove / wood heat forum are the only forum pages I’m on. That’s right, you thought you were a super nerd but wood stoves now that’s as nerdy as I can imagine. Don’t tell my friends. ......

Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,228 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup