Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: New vs Old - Tweeters
bridgman #439176 10/17/20 09:28 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Yeah. I remember you telling me about the bbc dip. ( I think it was you ). That’s also what I meant about the source really mattering. I mean I just finished listened to Lee Ritenour and Larry Carlton album. Simply amazing on many levels.

https://open.spotify.com/album/1izCoiNwQyikt9zY9LQUdc?si=C69SDBZiRI245Yv-NkUEFw

Again I’m an n=1 experiment here but I think the ti tweet sounded great. I have the towers flush ( no toe in ) and it’s just incredible. Now if I play other tracks like Fleetwood Mac - Dreams - remastered..... It’s bright. No doubt there.

https://open.spotify.com/track/0ofHAoxe9vBkTCp2UQIavz?si=kcaaspRGTKGUzrTZwjgEKQ

So I keep coming back to the quality of the recording as being a huge factor in what gets put out thru the tweeters and woofers. These are very accurate speakers. IMO.

I guess the only way to really know is bite the bullet and try something v4 but I find it difficult to pay more $$$ when I already really love what I have.

In the meantime I’m just gonna enjoy the music.

Lee and Larry knocked it out of the park !!! Such a good album. I’m giddy from listening to that. So good. I know y’all know what I mean after a good listening session.

M60ti Hafler9505 & JFET Pre,Axiom Transformer. M3 Marantz PM7200 Dual 606 Denon 2700 M2 Yammy RX595
michael_d #439177 10/18/20 12:14 AM
M
shareholder in the making
M
Originally Posted by michael_d
I upgraded from M60V4 to M80V4 a couple years ago.

Mojo has a ton of useful information, and I do appreciate his opinion, but he ain't always "right". My M80's are a superior sounding speaker than the M60's they replaced. And neither are HP's...... Just saying....... Take advice with a grain of salt and consider other points of view.

Michael, I know from previous discussions a couple of years ago, you like the dynamics of the M80s; just as you like fast cars. The M60s didn't have the 'nads you wanted for dynamics and that's where the M80s came in. This is terrific and I am very happy you found your happy place. Notice in my response to Kodiak, I said "Unless you need the higher SPL of the M80, the M60 is hands-down the better speaker"?

BTW Michael, I am correct 100% of the time +/- 3dB smile just like Ian says in this video at around 14:53 but you have to watch from the time below to get the context. So wonderful to see and hear Ian laughing.

https://youtu.be/BIgisk7QNMU?t=849

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
Kodiak #439178 10/18/20 12:18 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by Kodiak
I guess the only way to really know is bite the bullet and try something v4 but I find it difficult to pay more $$$ when I already really love what I have.

Given the emotions you've described, I say keep the M60Ti and get yourself at least one sealed sub. There is no point in waiting for a sub because you will always need at least one.

House of the Rising Sone
Kodiak #439180 10/18/20 02:03 AM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Originally Posted by Kodiak
Hey Michael thanks for chiming in.

Why did you decide to upgrade from m60v4 to m80v4?

Why did you choose to not get the HP version?

What differences are you hearing?

What size and type of space are you in?

I’ve always considered the m80 as the flagship speaker from axiom. I bought these m60 ti for cheapish on refurb just to try out axiom. Loving em.

It looks like you have lots of posts so I’m guessing you’ve gone thru the various versions of towers over the years.

I’m absolutely open to anyone’s opinion they are sharing. I’m enjoying learning and this is hobby I didn’t think I’d get so geeked out on. Thats why I’m here! Plus it’s fun to yack about audio.

Oh, I don't have a great reason. I'm an impulse buyer of Axiom products I reckon...... My first Axiom speaker was the M80TI. I still have them and listen to them pretty much every day. They are playing "surround back" channels in my great room. I use this system for background music in multi channel stereo. They still kick ass.

I bought the M60's in real wood finish for my small HT room. It's 12' X 18'. I also thought they might play better with the 160, and I did not want the 180, so I went with the 60's. I also had some other real wood speakers, but in different colors/species, so one day I decided to buy a whole new system, matching all the speakers. I went with the M80's this time, because I always felt the M60's just didn't have the kick the M80's did.

And no, Mojo....lol..... I did not miss SPL, as I do not need to go deaf. The M80's hit harder, at lower SPL too. I like them better, no question, than the M60's.

I did not go with the HP drivers, cause I have no need for them, and that would just be throwing money away for no good reason.

Rebulx #439181 10/18/20 02:20 AM
Rebulx Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
From Mojo: "Understand however that imaging and soundstage are more important to me than full bass and dynamics."

You hit the nail on the head with that statement Mojo.

I've learned that speakers are just like a well prepared dish, some people are used to salty food and enjoy those bursts of flavor in every bite and some like a more bland flavor that allows you to identify, enjoy, and appreciate the other ingredients. Personally, I like it salty, I'll use texture to identify my other ingredients (plus or minus 3db). Yeah, i'm hungry. lol

Due to my listening environment, it's no wonder why I like it salty, since room acoustics / sound absorption have just as much to do with great sound, as the speaker themselves.

Lots of speakers from many
manufactures...mostly Axiom
Rebulx #439182 10/18/20 02:20 AM
M
M
You have them set up along the 12'width, Michael. The actives would be perfect in that room! They'd give you the quiet kicks you like...LOL!

House of the Rising Sone
Rebulx #439183 10/18/20 02:23 AM
M
M
Rebulx, you live! I thought you passed on from a thigh lock. So just how badly did you fry your M100s and Emo? smile

BTW, this is salty.

https://open.spotify.com/track/5mg8Zn962HnQG63gzxJJWY?si=hBxPfeelT2SDjA3-azokfQ

Last edited by Mojo; 10/18/20 02:38 AM.

House of the Rising Sone
Rebulx #439184 10/18/20 05:31 AM
Rebulx Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
wow mojo that was a great share. love that tune. I've also been listening to the live performances on apple music, spans 1960 to present, quite a good listen.

kodiak, appreciate all your questions as i've been learning from them, thanks.

During the last week I've had the opportunity to audition Elac, Martin Logan, and KEF's new Meta line. My personal opinion, Axioms v4 tweeter is similar to Elac's new stuff and the old ti tweeter sound is similar to the speakers that cost a bunch more like the b&w diamond series and the new LS50 Meta Kef bookshelves. imho. After all the listening i'm really happy with the M100s.

Lots of speakers from many
manufactures...mostly Axiom
Rebulx #439185 10/18/20 07:31 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Hey Rebulx, my pleasure on the questions. I like learning stuff. I enjoy understanding how stuff works. And there’s no better way to learn then from those that have come before me. It’s all kinds subjective stuff when we get into opinions and tastes but the science behind it is quite fascinating and objective. I think some of the you tube review stuff is silly but one guy reviewer quotes “ the only one who has to like the sound of your system is you”. And it’s true.

And..... I just realized your in Florida near the water, ( as evidenced by your window that looks out that way so no speakers can go there!!!! Ha. ) I love watching YouTube videos of Haulover Inlet!! Crazy stuff that is. Nice boats though! Wow. You ever navigate that inlet? You mentioned fishing.

Glad your loving the m100. How was the ti tweeter to swap in and out? Easy enough? Ian had 4 of them for you?

M60ti Hafler9505 & JFET Pre,Axiom Transformer. M3 Marantz PM7200 Dual 606 Denon 2700 M2 Yammy RX595
Rebulx #439191 10/18/20 03:46 PM
aficionado
aficionado
The Next Best Thing video was very well done Ian and Jay looked very comfortable on the dock there. He also has another inside Axiom aswell. I've been watching their vids for a couple years now.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters