Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
OLED vs QLED??
#439434 11/03/20 04:50 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
HI: I've been away for awhile hope everyone here is doing ok these days???

Starting to think/research about a new TV currently have a Panasonic plasma TV from 2013 55ST60 love it. So that being my benchmark so to speak which TV is better then or a least as good as what I have now?Reading up OLED seems to be the clear winner....however have gone to 2 stores & both said the OLED should last 4-7 years???Really dropping 2500(Canada is where I live) for such a short time of ownership???So given that & reading conflicting info on burn in & price premium on OLED vs even a higher end LED(which is what say a QLED is) if it lasts say 9+ years that seems to be a better direction to go??What says you guys!Stay & well folks!! smile

Paradigm 800F,Paradigm C600,Axiom QS8 v3,Paradigm DSP-3100 Sub,AVR Anthem MRX-740
Re: OLED vs QLED??
Stereoguy99 #439435 11/03/20 03:13 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
For starters, if you have had a top of the line plasma(which it looks like you have), especially when it comes to the black levels, contrast and depth of colours, it is doubtful that you will ever be happy with any LED including the better QLED sets from Samsung and others which come relatively close, but at the price of crushed blacks and their top models you will pay almost as much as you do for an OLED anyway. The idea of lifespan and what the salesperson told you is questionable mainly because lifespan has many variables including how often you use the set and how bright you prefer your picture settings and this applies to any technology. Burn in is an issue that has for the most part been mitigated with new technologies built into recent models of OLEDS to the point that the the new LG OLEDS are now at the top of the food chain for gamers. Also, off axis viewing in OLEDS can't be beat. LG manufactures all of the OLED panels for OLED models anyway regardless of the brand(Sony, Panasonic, Vizio etc.).

There is no question that the better QLED's are brighter, but, that is only if you require a television that is located in a room that always has a considerable amount of extraneous light shining on the screen all the time. I bit a rather large bullet back in late May and bought a 77" LG CX OLED and compared to my previous LEDs, especially for movie viewing, well, there is no comparison, especially in a darker room watching in HDR or Dolby Vision. One note of interest, when the colorists for movie studios put their final touches on any movie before it is released to the theaters, they only use one type of technology for set-up, OLEDs, nothing else.

All of this, of course, is my opinion, but I have owned both and, like I said right at the beginning, if you have had a plasma and love it, the only technology that will match that picture quality will be an OLED, the OLED will just be somewhat brighter.

Last edited by casey01; 11/03/20 03:18 PM.
Stereoguy99 #439438 11/03/20 06:17 PM
axiomite
axiomite
We discussed this in another thread not long ago this year.
Some myths being pushed out there re: OLED just like there were for LCD and then plasma when they were all first introduced.
ANY tv will have burn in under the right conditions which typically do not apply to your average home owner who watches tv, videos and maybe some gaming. If any person is an extremist watching only CNN all day, gaming 10+ hours per day of the same game that has any fixed logos or fixed graphics THEN after a few years you might see some burn in, maybe.

I'm still going OLED very shortly. Starting doing some research this year. Have to replace the AVR as well. Just came across this bombshell this morning re: HDMI 2.1 and the newest AVRs (if i could create a post i would start a different threads but for some reason i can't).
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...hdmi-2-1-chip-panasonic-solutions.16979/

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
chesseroo #439445 11/03/20 07:15 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
There is a guy who does reviews online "FOMO" I saw last week who was one of the first to expose this flaw in the chip that for some bizarre reason, seems to have been simply an unforgiveable breakdown in communication between the AVR manufacturers, the company making the chips and, of course, Microsoft(XBox), Nvidia and as far as is know, Sony with the PS5. It seems to boil down to the fact that in order for all of the AVR mfgs. to have full bandwidth AV switching capability they should have installed a chip that offered de-compressed video, whereas the chip they did ultimately install was designed only for compressed video hence, even with a fully 2.1 compatible monitor, one would get nothing more than a black screen. Apparently the X Box was the first to expose this issue which a firmware update in the AVRs won't solve. The work around of course, and assuming the machines have both audio and video outputs, you can still plug the video directly into a 2.1 compatible monitor with EArc while the audio goes into the AVR which makes the purchase of one of these new models unnecessary.

I am sure for at least a few months anyway, Denon, Marantz and Yamaha are looking at some pretty substantial losses in sales.

Stereoguy99 #439446 11/03/20 07:18 PM
axiomite
axiomite
See the other thread i started on this.

I'll be looking for some used deals if people start dumping these 2020 AVRs because of it.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Stereoguy99 #439459 11/04/20 03:00 AM
devotee
devotee
I went with the OLED about two years ago now and it's been great. Amazing black levels. There is a burn in effect you have to watch out for and i'm starting to see a slight sign of it where the broadcaster logos go. otherwise sharpest picture i've ever seen.

Lots of speakers from many
manufactures...mostly Axiom
Rebulx #439464 11/04/20 05:06 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Originally Posted by Rebulx
I went with the OLED about two years ago now and it's been great. Amazing black levels. There is a burn in effect you have to watch out for and i'm starting to see a slight sign of it where the broadcaster logos go. otherwise sharpest picture i've ever seen.

The 2020 LG models have a number of features that mitigate burn-in in all but the most extreme cases.
For eg. when you are watching any programming regardless of source, there is a gradual "pixel shifting" mechanism going on which is virtually unnoticeable so there is never really a static set of pixels on the screen at any given time. There is also a more intense "pixel refresher" feature that they suggest if any retention becomes noticeable or just for maintenance purposes once or twice a year, when activated in the screen saver menu, a more intense process takes place for at least an hour after you turn off the television.
In addition, there is the ability to soften some static logos and if, you leave the monitor on where there is fixed images on the screen for just a few minutes, like a computer, the screen goes black and a screen saver activates. Just moving the remote returns to what was on the screen.

I suppose this latter item might be a pain to some, however, ultimately, you get used to it. Incidentally, there was a YouTuber whom in order to test the burn-in claims by some, turned on CNN with all their logos and fixed images for three straight days/24 hrs. a day and reported he never had a hint of any burn-in or image retention. It seems, for the vast majority, other than for the odd few who might have received a flawed panel, under normal usage, burn-in hasn't been an issue.

Stereoguy99 #439523 11/06/20 01:52 PM
local
local
I have a 48" LG CX OLED on the way to use as a gaming/productivity monitor and office tv. Can't wait to play Flight Simulator 2020 in 4K/120Hz. Should be pretty immersive from 3.5 feet away. I'm not too worried about burn-in, and am finding it hard to justify splurging on Best Buy's $450 CAD extended warranty (basically a quarter of the price of the TV itself).

Axiom M5HP VP160 M3 ADA1000
Anthem MRX 720
SVS SB-3000 (dual)
Stereoguy99 #439524 11/06/20 02:10 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Hi: Took the plunge today bought this TV below: Not a gamer so this was my choice!!Thanks for the help will report back after get it up & running late next week!!!

My TV

Paradigm 800F,Paradigm C600,Axiom QS8 v3,Paradigm DSP-3100 Sub,AVR Anthem MRX-740
Stereoguy99 #439525 11/06/20 04:14 PM
M
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
M
I've never heard of acoustic surface audio for a TV.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,014 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup