Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Re: One pair or two pairs of M3 ceiling speakers?
edvacdude #441617 03/12/21 02:36 PM
M
shareholder in the making
M
How far from the ceiling will your ears-brain be?

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
edvacdude #441618 03/12/21 03:21 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I do not know the dispersion pattern of the any of the M3 types. I think Mojo once mentioned something about a number when we were discussing in-ceiling imaging way back. From my experience, I think you’re fine with assuming a wide dispersion for both these speakers ... maybe someone else might want to comment on this.

Depending on the trade offs made on ceiling placement, your ceiling height, and the size of your listening area you might need to aim them. When hard wiring speakers (especially if in-ceiling) you will need to know your placement up front. You’ll have a good idea if you’ll need to aim them but ultimately you will decide it by experimenting.

BTW: One of the big advantages of using on-walls is that you can move the speaker a few feet with the only downside of how to hide the speaker wire (which is not much of a downside).

Mojo #441619 03/12/21 03:23 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Mojo
How far from the ceiling will your ears-brain be?

About 8-9 feet ...

Axiom M80Ti, VP150, M3 on walls X 4, M3 ceiling X4, HSU VTF-3 MK3

edvacdude #441620 03/12/21 05:53 PM
M
M
8 to 9 feet is very sweet. You won't have any issues with multiple drivers from an M2, M3, or M5 fusing at that distance.

The M3 bookshelf sounds very nice. I haven't heard the M3OW but knowing how the M5 and M2OW perform, I'd say the M3 is good too.

There are big differences between the M3 and the M2/M5HP. The M3 lacks a dedicated mid-woofer driver. That affects the timber of the midrange. This sound can be described as less detailed. Admittedly, sometimes I like this sound. But if you want to follow the Dolby recommendations, all speakers need to have the same timber. If you had M50 or M3 fronts, that wouldn't be a problem but with your M80s, the M3s would not be timber-matched. Besides, I think you'd benefit with improved emotional impact with overheads that present more detailed mids.

That then leaves the question of whether M5s or M2s are more appropriate. I still struggle between these two. Without a sub, hands-down it's the M5 although room acoustics can interfere and create bass bloat. But with a sub, it's really too difficult for me to tell which I prefer without A/Bing them side-by-side. For those who don't want to fudge with EQ or placement within the room, I'll always recommend M2s.

The M5 has the same bump the M3 has around 100Hz. That may or may not be a factor given your floor to ceiling distance. Trevor would know better.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
SpenceJT2003 #441628 03/12/21 08:50 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
Originally Posted by SpenceJT2003
I'm considering picking up a pair of M3 or VP100 on-wall speakers to suspend from my ceiling for use as an overhead Atmos audio channel.

Has anyone successfully mounted these to a ceiling?

Yes, Nick Buol. Can be done. Not a good idea though. In ceiling speakers have concentric drivers so response is the same in all directions more or less. Vertically arranged drivers should be used as intended as they roll off or “lobe” treble once you listen below the tweeter axis.

Canesfan27 #441629 03/12/21 08:51 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
Originally Posted by CanesFanInVA
So would it be better to lower the surrounds to ear level and add height speakers? I've been debating whether to add additional wiring to lower the surrounds to stands ( patio door prevents me from lowering them on wall on one side). Trying to think of all scenarios while I have the walls ripped out.

Yes. Plans coming. Your basement is messed up but we can fix it.

edvacdude #441630 03/12/21 08:53 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
Originally Posted by edvacdude
The only part where I'm confused is the directionality that on wall speakers have ... tweeters on top, midrange at the bottom. In an on-ceiling configuration, wouldn't that distort the sound stage?

Additionally, would ceiling speakers have to render a lot of bass?

Sorry, just trying to understand, appreciate the feedback!

Yes.

No.

Mojo #441636 03/13/21 05:09 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted by Mojo
8 to 9 feet is very sweet. You won't have any issues with multiple drivers from an M2, M3, or M5 fusing at that distance.
Don't think you have enough info to say that Mojo ... need the ceiling height, the listening area width, and if he's going for Atmos only or if Auro is in the mix ... and that's at a minimum.

As far as an M3 or M2 (don't know if you want to hang an M5 on the ceiling and distance to listener would be a bigger factor). I think both are matched well enough. The M3 will sound slightly deeper then the M2 but your giving up some clarity in the mid range. I went with M3's as I felt that one would not notice the difference as a surround is not something you're going to be doing critical listening with. Both are damn good even as mains when a sub is in the mix. Perhaps my ears are not good enough anymore as I only hear the difference when listening for what I know from side by side testing (Mojo probably has a better ear and sonic memory).

I can not speak to Trever's concentric lobe stuff ... as I've never noticed it in real life. So, You know my take ... it's MHO and your milage my vary.

Last edited by rrlev; 03/13/21 05:27 PM.
aaaaaaaaaaaaa #441637 03/13/21 05:29 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by TrevorM
Originally Posted by SpenceJT2003
I'm considering picking up a pair of M3 or VP100 on-wall speakers to suspend from my ceiling for use as an overhead Atmos audio channel.

Has anyone successfully mounted these to a ceiling?

Yes, Nick Buol. Can be done. Not a good idea though. In ceiling speakers have concentric drivers so response is the same in all directions more or less. Vertically arranged drivers should be used as intended as they roll off or “lobe” treble once you listen below the tweeter axis.

Apologies rrlev, but I tend to agree with TrevorM's position on in-ceiling speakers. Especially when there are multiple listeners, or multiple rows of seating. The Dolby spec also suggested to use sound absorbing material thusly (page 9 in the link I previously shared) "To improve sound quality and reduce unwanted audio reflection, we recommend using sound-absorbing and sound-diffusing treatment to handle reflections from the walls, floor, and ceiling."

In my case, I have the two M80 fronts, a VP150, four M3s for sides/rears at ear level, and four overhead in ceiling M3s. More importantly, I also have sound absorbing baffles from GIK acoustics (https://www.gikacoustics.com/product/gik-acoustics-room-kit-package-1/) to reduce slap echoes. The end result was a tight sonic presentation (materially better compared to my prior system that had QS8s for sides/rears, no overhead speakers).

Axiom M80Ti, VP150, M3 on walls X 4, M3 ceiling X4, HSU VTF-3 MK3

edvacdude #441638 03/13/21 05:37 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted by edvacdude
Apologies rrlev, but I tend to agree with TrevorM's position on in-ceiling speakers
No Apologies needed ...

I'm not an expert in this stuff and Trever has a lot more experience ...
I'm just giving you the info I know and my opinion on how I would handle it.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,231 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup