Originally Posted by TrevorM
Originally Posted by SpenceJT2003
I'm considering picking up a pair of M3 or VP100 on-wall speakers to suspend from my ceiling for use as an overhead Atmos audio channel.

Has anyone successfully mounted these to a ceiling?

Yes, Nick Buol. Can be done. Not a good idea though. In ceiling speakers have concentric drivers so response is the same in all directions more or less. Vertically arranged drivers should be used as intended as they roll off or “lobe” treble once you listen below the tweeter axis.

Apologies rrlev, but I tend to agree with TrevorM's position on in-ceiling speakers. Especially when there are multiple listeners, or multiple rows of seating. The Dolby spec also suggested to use sound absorbing material thusly (page 9 in the link I previously shared) "To improve sound quality and reduce unwanted audio reflection, we recommend using sound-absorbing and sound-diffusing treatment to handle reflections from the walls, floor, and ceiling."

In my case, I have the two M80 fronts, a VP150, four M3s for sides/rears at ear level, and four overhead in ceiling M3s. More importantly, I also have sound absorbing baffles from GIK acoustics (https://www.gikacoustics.com/product/gik-acoustics-room-kit-package-1/) to reduce slap echoes. The end result was a tight sonic presentation (materially better compared to my prior system that had QS8s for sides/rears, no overhead speakers).

Axiom M80Ti, VP150, M3 on walls X 4, M3 ceiling X4, HSU VTF-3 MK3