Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 15 of 21 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 20 21
Re: Starting to oggle new gear
Canesfan27 #442187 04/19/21 12:32 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted by CanesFanInVA
So I bought and used to audyssey app. Huge improvement due to the extra options and curve adjustments you can make. Definitely worth the 19.99.
I've always planned on trying the app but for some reason never had ... if I find my self with some extra play time I will definitely have to give it a shot.

Last edited by rrlev; 04/19/21 12:33 AM.
rrlev #442188 04/19/21 01:05 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Originally Posted by rrlev
Originally Posted by CanesFanInVA
So I bought and used to audyssey app. Huge improvement due to the extra options and curve adjustments you can make. Definitely worth the 19.99.
I've always planned on trying the app but for some reason never had ... if I find my self with some extra play time I will definitely have to give it a shot.

Definitely recommend it.
There are things you can do with the app that you cannot do with the Denon AVR setup version. In fact, the auto version does things you want to turn off which can only be done through the app. The Audioholics video talks about some of these things.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
chesseroo #442189 04/19/21 02:47 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Well i've got the Audyssey run and set.
I got the LARSA set (sing an older iPad, a stereo to RCA connector and some Audioquest cables to the AVR front input jacks, then took a few measures with Audyssey off and then on. LARSA sends chirps to the two front speakers via the pad to AVR signal.
I used the LARSA chirps first (comes through in stereo only) and then switched to an all surround channel test with pink noise from a Youtube video through the LG tv app to get all channels going. Took two measurements with LARSA and pink noise, Audyssey on and then off.
Other notes, for this i had to setup the measurement system a bit different. Since LARSA uses its own chirps for every measurement you take, i had to quiet out the chirps being generated so the pad would only hear the pink noise. I simply unplugged the iPad from the audio output to the AVR then turned down the pad output volume to zero so the chirps coming out of the pad speaker would not be heard and LARSA would only pickup the pink noise from the entire surround system through the pad mic.

Bottom line, i'm not 100% certain that something isn't being done right, either by me, or by Audyssey
The curves with and without Audyssey are very subtly different and in some valleys/peaks, the curves are almost identical. I was expecting to see a much larger difference with the Audyssey on, for better or for worse. It certainly is nothing like the 'flat' curve you see in the Audyssey app that is reported to be set for each speaker.
I would post the images of the room response curves but i have to get them first off an old iPad, edit so you can see the curve labels, then onto Imgur before i can post them here. LARSA allows you to see all the curves on one graph BUT it assumes that all curves are multiple measures of the same thing so then it adds an average line as well. I don't want the average line and there should be a way to turn that on when viewing multiple graphs together in case you are not testing all the same thing and just want the graphs plotted together.

I'll have to wrap my head around this one a bit more and see if there are some reasons why i'm getting the results i'm seeing. Flattening the curves? Not from what i just measured.

Last edited by chesseroo; 04/19/21 02:53 AM.

chesseroo #442190 04/19/21 04:12 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Going to continue some reading and testing tomorrow, but reading Amir's results using Audyssey, his frequency response graph looks alot more like mine. There are some changes likely, but you can see many peaks and valleys still have much overlap without really any correction evident.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/audyssey-room-eq-review.12746/

I'm feeling more confident now that i've seen something like Amir's graphs which resemble my own (i.e. not as much major smoothing as i thought it might have).
More testing....

chesseroo #442191 04/19/21 09:01 AM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
Make sure to enable 1.5s chirp. You can turn off the flag “show all curves”. Wrench bottom right corner. Try 1/6 smoothing. Little easier to read but hides high Q measurements. If you leave at 1/24 there is plenty of resolution.

Stay at it! You’ll get there. And know exactly where “there” is. wink My target curve is pretty close to Amir’s. He cheated off my test! Lol.

aaaaaaaaaaaaa #442192 04/19/21 04:17 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Originally Posted by TrevorM
Make sure to enable 1.5s chirp.
Yep did that.

You can turn off the flag “show all curves”.
Yep did that but then you cannot stack the two curves you want to see overtop of each other. You can try to quick switch back and forth but it's not easy to see the changes if there are minor. I just try to ignore the average line they draw but really, why is this not an option to turn off??

Try 1/6 smoothing. Little easier to read but hides high Q measurements. If you leave at 1/24 there is plenty of resolution.
Yep i played with the resolution settings. If you have more than two measurements (one before, one after) then too much resolution makes it look very busy.

Compare to Amir's before and after, he definitely seemed to have more smoothed peaks than i did and there is a small range where when Audyssey is turned on, it actually creates three peaks where without it, the frequency range is almost flat.
I read another report from this link where the results shown before and after using quality measurement gear is WAY WAY more successful than what i'm seeing Audyssey do for me at the moment:
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/audyssey-me

Stay at it! You’ll get there. And know exactly where “there” is. wink My target curve is pretty close to Amir’s. He cheated off my test! Lol.
I'm going to tinker a bit more and i'll try to get these images off the old iPad to post here.

I will also try some limited listening tests with one or two songs to see if i can pick out anything that sounds different.

Last edited by chesseroo; 04/19/21 04:20 PM.

Re: Starting to oggle new gear -Rm sweeps
chesseroo #442196 04/19/21 07:42 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
So here are the first results from late night testing.
Audiotools LARSA generating 1.5s chirps through two main speakers. Sound recorded on iPad 4th Gen mic.

Note the legend i added to the first graph. It will apply to all following graphs. Blue = Audyssey ON. Grey = Audyssey OFF. Black is an average line so just ignore it.

I provided two images of the whole frequency spectrum sweep with two different octaves of resolution. The bulk are in 1/12th octave setting. The last three images i broke out into smaller frequency groupings to see the smaller details better.

20Hz to 20 KHz - two octaves resolution, higher then lesser follows
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Frequency ranges broken out:

Last edited by chesseroo; 04/19/21 07:43 PM.

chesseroo #442199 04/19/21 07:54 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
Looks like a cinema filter is engaged above 6khz?

Rest looks ok to 200hz. Definitely not bad at all. Under 200hz looks pretty typical.

Do you have your sub tucked in a corner? Trying to think of ways to tame that 40hz peak. Not sure but is your length dimension front to back 14ft? If so I know a fix. Nother sub.

aaaaaaaaaaaaa #442202 04/19/21 09:15 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Originally Posted by TrevorM
Looks like a cinema filter is engaged above 6khz?
The Cinema EQ is definitely off. I suspect it might be a limitation of the mic on the old iPad. The alternative is that the room is very absorbing of high frequencies.

Rest looks ok to 200hz. Definitely not bad at all. Under 200hz looks pretty typical.
Really?
Good then b/c as mentioned, i was expecting to see a lot more.

Do you have your sub tucked in a corner? Trying to think of ways to tame that 40hz peak. Not sure but is your length dimension front to back 14ft? If so I know a fix. Nother sub.

Tucked? No. It sits about 9" off the back wall and 2' from the left wall. I don't have the room width to put it at the 1/4 suggested room width (4') but i have the same amount of space available on the right side now since we reconfigured the setup and hence i'll have room for the second sub with similar distancing from the right wall. If i tried to relocate the sub farther from the left wall, it would displace the location of the left speaker farther to the left and if the mains are spread too far apart, the sound pulls way too far left or right. I did a lot of moving around of the speakers during intial setup long ago and i really needed to have about two more feet behind the seating area to really dial in a wider sweet spot.
The room actually has a two direction configuration for 7.2 (we had the wired setup that way during construction). We have never tried out the room on the long axis because the width of the chairs would take up enough space that we wouldn't be able to have our small side tables for drinks without being able to walk around the chairs to get into the room. I often thought the acoustics would be better for setting up the sweet spot though having more distance back from the mains.

As for dimensions, the room is 16' x 13' approximately but the one wall behind the seating is not a flat rectangle (angle ceiling down ward 1/3 the way). The room is not a fixed rectangle in other ways as well. I had images posted at one point in the gallery but when they changed the forums over i think it got removed. I haven't taken any updated pics yet and was waiting for the speaker changeover before doing so.

Last edited by chesseroo; 04/19/21 09:17 PM.

chesseroo #442203 04/19/21 09:34 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
Pretty typical before correction under 200hz.

Turn your sub down 5db in menu and remeasure. If the gain on your sub is set really high it acts as a multiplier -especially in a small room. 5db down may be more like 10 in that room.

Page 15 of 21 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 20 21

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,486
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,198 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup