Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Re: Onkyo Receiver making a click noise randomly
Eblack12 #445457 05/17/22 01:53 PM
local
Online Content
local
Looks like Onkyo has joined the list of portfolio brands. I fully expect Onkyo branded instant noodles, dishwasher rinse aid, and hand sanitizer in the near future.

https://www.audioholics.com/news/despite-bankruptcy-onkyo-pioneer-elite-av-drives-on

Author of "Status 101: How To Keep Up In A World That Keeps Score While Buying Into Buying Less"
aaaaaaaaaaaaa #445458 05/17/22 05:09 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted by TrevorM
You have to set it to dolby surround. Just hit the colored buttons at bottom of remote until it cycles to Dolby Surround/Atmos. Then leave it and it will default to that decoder next time that codec is detected.
The Denon is set to DD when using Crave or Fibe. However, that 5.1 signal does not translate to the other two rear surrounds. When scrolling through the DSPs available, the other options are not DD (i can get all channel multi audio for example, or Neural X, etc.). When using the Apple tv cube, i also do not get a simple DD and instead get a different indicator symbols which you can see here :https://manuals.denon.com/AVRX4400H/NA/EN/DRDZSYhrhvtgzs.php

Anyway, long story short, i figured out what was happening and the primary issues were two things; signal from the individual apps not having all the same DSP default (i thought they did when i first set it all up) and almost more importantly, the AVR display mode is not what i was used to using.

First, Apple tv cube (or my Roku) had the default Dolby Atmos version when using Disney, Prime. No problems though as previously noted, the Roku will say DD + Atmos or something like that while the Apple tv cube uses these symbols. Both do all surround sound 7.1.

However, when the Bell PVR was in use, or the Bell Fibe app (through the Roku or the Apple tv cube), the default was Dolby Digital. This sounds 'right' but it is only DD 5.1. This is what threw me along with something i had not expected; the difference between how my older Onkyo AVR displayed DSPs on its LED screen vs. this new Denon. When scrolling through DSPs, the Onkyo would show you what you have selected. The Denon would show you what you have selected on the FIRST LED line, but on the SECOND LED line it shows you the next DSP in the list if you keep scrolling!
So, for example:

Onkyo LED panel output would look like this if Direct was the DSP selected:
Direct

Denon panel output would look like this:
Direct
Stereo

If i selected stereo next for both:
Onkyo
Stereo

Denon
Stereo
Dolby Digital

So here's the kicker. When i move on to the DD surround modes, here is how the Denon reads:
Dolby Digital +
Dolby Surround

When i see that on the LED output, i assumed i was in the Dolby Digital format that was required for the full 7.1 system. It literally looks like that is how it reads but it is deceiving especially since i was used to how my old Onkyo displayed the DSPs. Hence, by pressing the DSP menu one more time, it went into the Dolby Surround mode for all 7.1 whereas the previous DD was obviously just 5.1.

I now set that as the default for each of the apps, devices that were not setup that way before and going forward, if i change the DSP at all (like listening to music in Direct mode), i now know about how the Denon displays its DSP on its front panel.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Eblack12 #445459 05/17/22 06:26 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
My main issue with most of these modes is that I've never proven to my self that they setup right automatically. In the family room I use the TV to access all the streaming services. The video does not go though the receiver (although it might get it). The Marantz SR5014's only has a tiny porthole I have to walk up to to see what codec is set ... it's why I'm always a bit uncertain about it.

The HT's 8805 has a larger Display behind a door below the porthole which gives you a lot more info. I leave it open most of the time.

rrlev #445460 05/17/22 06:51 PM
M
shareholder in the making
M
My last great Onk ever built is flawless! It detects formats from my PS3 and Firestick 4K. I am also able to configure the channel format I want on a per-source basis such that, for example, if a stereo signal is detected, it will auto-switch to PLII or Neo.

There are no funny clicks, pops or farts. It is rock solid. I will never let go of that Onk until it goes up in flames. Even then, I will dawn my fire suit, douse the flames, and using my vast skills, restore it to its former glory!

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
Eblack12 #445465 05/18/22 02:45 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
If you go back to 1993 or so, I had the top of the line Onkyo receiver (TX-SV909PRO). I loved that unit. It was built like a tank, But at the time the surround formats were kind of in flux and within a few years started to feel bit stale. I kept it anyway waiting for things to settle. Used it for audio only for a while and then gave it to my cousin when we moved to a place that didn't have a great place to put a system. I was actually sad to part with it. It served me well for almost 10 years and it' may still going. So, I know what you mean Mojo.

Eblack12 #445466 05/18/22 03:14 AM
M
M
Yes and it'll be 10 years this fall and not a single battery change for the remote. And I've tried to kill it by shorting the speaker wires and dumping all it has into the M5s. Sounded like garbage but it wouldn't cut out.

House of the Rising Sone
Eblack12 #445467 05/18/22 04:34 AM
M
M
When I had M100s, my VP160 mounted me Onk and covered most of the ventilation grid. The Onk kept powering the M100s no problem. I even juiced the M100 with all she had and after my room stunk of scorched voice coil and broiled cross-over, the Onk finally self-protected.

House of the Rising Sone
Eblack12 #445469 05/19/22 10:15 AM
E
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
E
Well I got the replacement receiver and set it up last night. It appears the clicking is normal for this model and how the receiver handles changes in impedance/power draw I'm guessing. I suppose I will have to decide if I want to keep this or not as it mostly happens when listening to music pretty loud. I find it odd that this clicking isn't mentioned in reviews of the receiver. At least with Costco's return policy I have time to decide as I can technically return this whenever as its not on their 90 day return list of items.

Eblack12 #445470 05/19/22 12:40 PM
E
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
E
Originally Posted by Eblack12
Well I got the replacement receiver and set it up last night. It appears the clicking is normal for this model and how the receiver handles changes in impedance/power draw I'm guessing. I suppose I will have to decide if I want to keep this or not as it mostly happens when listening to music pretty loud. I find it odd that this clicking isn't mentioned in reviews of the receiver. At least with Costco's return policy I have time to decide as I can technically return this whenever as its not on their 90 day return list of items.
Actually nevermind, I was reading more reviews and I found some about the clicking sound the receiver makes, and that their other model of Onkyo does this same thing unless the impedance is changed to 4ohms.

Eblack12 #445471 05/19/22 01:22 PM
M
M
If you examine the impedance curve of the M5, you'll notice it dips to 6 Ohms below 80Hz. It dips even lower between 100Hz and 500Hz but there's less energy in that band typically. Therefore, try cutting the M5 off at 80Hz to see if the clicking stops. If it does, that tells you all will be well when you get a sub.

House of the Rising Sone
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617