New M80's
#58341 08/23/04 02:26 AM
D
dmw Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
D
Well, I made the plunge. I was loooking at getting the M60's. However, I discovered a retail shop that had Axiom in stock within driving distance. Turns out they are closing them out because Axiom is going to an internet only business model. His price on the M60 was lower than the "blem" price from the factory.
Anyway, I made the trip to the store. It wasn't possible to do a comparison because these were the only brand in the store. He had M50's, M60's and M80's on the floor. He played the M50's first. I was amazed. They filled the room with their sound. Next, the M60's. They sounded a little bigger with slightly more midrange. Finally, the M80's which seemed to have a little more of everything. They were all very impressive. I came for the M60's, but I realized that I could get the M80's for about what the factory wants for the M60's. I negotiated on the M80's and ended up paying $810 American for them. Not bad eh? I will be reimbursed for all the tax, and since they are Canadian made, I paid no duty bringing them back to the states. He still made a profit on them, which makes you wonder why Axiom can't afford to sell them cheaper if they are bypassing the middle man.
After getting them home, I set them up. They are in a less than ideal setting right now in my basement. I am in the proccess of building a study in the basement, but for now, the area is open with lots of hard surfaces. Nevertheless, they sound real nice. I feel I cant give a very good appraisal until they are set up more properly. Interesting thing: I pulled one each of the drivers, a woofer, mid, and tweeter. They are made in China. I thought Axiom made their own drivers. I guess they just assemble speakers. I couldn't see the crossovers.
I wish I could have heard the speakers up against some Polks or Infinitys, etc. As it is, they sounded awesome in the store. The M50's were the biggest surprise. A huge warm sound from a small tower. I feel the M80's sounded best of the three because the midrange was so lifelike. All three were impressive in the store. Now I'm anxious to get started on my basement so I can have a spot to enjoy my purchase.

Dan

Re: New M80's
#58342 08/23/04 03:15 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

which makes you wonder why Axiom can't afford to sell them cheaper if they are bypassing the middle man.

I was thinking the same thing not that long ago. There is a dealer in my town who was an Axiom re-seller and he is in the process right now of dumping all of his Axiom line. He dumped Axiom in favour of another line. The prices he's selling Axiom stuff for is embarrassing to say the least.

#58343 08/23/04 04:41 AM
M
local
local
M
Hey dmw congrads on your purchase. I'm sure the M80's sound all that much sweeter when you get them at such a bargain!

I don't begrudge any company making a tidy profit if they're breaking new ground as Axiom is. The reality is they're bringing excellent products to the market at an as of yet unheard of value. In time others companies will catch on to the "direct to consumer concept" and there'll be even more pressure to tighten those profit margins.

As far as the drivers go, I remember someone else bring this up here in the forum and as I recall Axiom has a factory in china. Axiom designs the drivers and they are made to spec in china. Makes sense if you think about. Cheap labour to build the drivers. The cabinet are heavy and costly to ship so that's likely why they're assembled in Canada, closer to the consumer.

Cheers, Jag

#58344 08/23/04 01:06 PM
devotee
devotee
The Axiom assembly process is quite interesting, there was a thread with pictures a while ago... They take a lot of attention to detail and quality..... I love 2 hours from the Axiom head office / factory (I've actually driven by it with a friend).

They make good stuff.

- D

"Big John is my Idol...or is it that other way around? Let's ask Ray!"
#58345 08/23/04 08:33 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Yea, makes sense, unless............you're the guy that gets the "pink slip".

LIFE: "Choices, balance, and timing"

(Larryism)
#58346 08/23/04 10:34 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
It also makes sense because there are zero environmental regulations in China. Slave labor, state subsidies, and a cloud of pollution that is detectable on the west coast of the US. Definitely the downside to buying Axioms, IMO.

#58347 08/24/04 02:23 AM
M
local
local
M
No argument there guys. I was just saying it makes sense from a business/cost point of view. Particularily as a Canuck I'd love to see Axiom manufacture everything in Canada. It's an unfortunate reality of the world in which we live where the majority of manufacturers move from one developing country to another based solely on the bottom line. The exact reasons for Axiom manufacturing their drivers in China is best explained by them, I was only speculating. From previous posts, of the like Daphoid referenced above( cheeseroo's visit to the factory )it does seem though Axiom is some what enviromentally conscientious and a decent corporate/community citizen.

But Ya if Axiom manufactured everything here I'd be an even bigger fan.

Cheers, Jag

Last edited by Jag; 08/24/04 02:24 AM.
#58348 08/24/04 12:11 PM
HAY Offline
aficionado
aficionado
Where was this sale?

High Gloss Cherry
M60 VP150 QS8
Open for Auditions but please don't drool on the High Gloss
#58349 08/24/04 01:38 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I know you didn't mean to write" cheeseroo," but man,.....
THATS funny!......cheese-roo.

LIFE: "Choices, balance, and timing"

(Larryism)
#58350 08/24/04 03:35 PM
D
dmw Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
D
I forgot to mention that I am driving these speakers with great effect by my old Technics integrated amp I bought around 1987. With all the mention around here of the 4 ohm problem, I wasn't sure if something this humble would be adequate, but they really hump (oops, is "hump" an acceptable audiophile word?).
This older amp is 100 watts per channel and it has a switch in the back for 8 or 4 ohms, which I presume must be a current limiting device. In any event, it does hump. After enjoying the detail and crispness of the high end and midrange, I put in one of my kids rap discs. I swear them little 6" woofers about spit out on the floor. They must be traveling an inch back and forth. not much finesse to those recordings, but they serve to give the amp and speakers a workout!
Question: what is the standard SPL rating on these speakers? they list two different specs for them. I can tell you this much, with my volume on two, they are very loud.

Dan

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,489
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,046 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup