Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
So, what are you listening to/watching these days?
#77292 01/16/05 06:52 AM
prdaly Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
I spent a few bucks tonight on DVDs but aside from that discussion, what do you think of these new additions to my small but growing collection?

Woodstock: The Director's Cut
James Taylor: Pull Over
Jimi Plays Berkeley
the Corrs: live in london
Peter Garbriel: Growing Up Live
Shawn Colvin: Polaroids: A Video Collection
Joni Mitchell: Shadows and Light
Santana: Supernatural Live

I just watched/listened to about 45 minutes of the Woodstock DVD. Fantastic. Looking forward to catching the rest tomorrow after some Zzzzzzzzs

The James Taylor concert was wonderful. If I had to pick one adjective, I’d say he’s just the consummate rock-steady "pro". Smooth, pleasant voice, meticulous guitar work... wonderful melodies, thought-provoking lyrics... Terrific supporting musicians playing with him. All in all, an awesome dvd...

Btw, have I mentioned that I'm *really* enjoying my new Axiom system?!? :-)

Bought the joni mitchell dvd 'cause (guilty pleasure – I’m a longtime fan of probably 1/2 of her stuff) I'm a huge Pat Metheny/Lyle Mays fan. (I’ve already got tickets to “The Way Up” world tour in March, which will be my 13 year old son’s first live concert). Jaco Pastorius is on this dvd as well (in a near peak performance...)

Haven't yet heard my other new additions yet but I'll get around to them soon enough....

By the way (and apropos of nothing above): "GD", the Axiom-bashing troublemaker, can go to heck! I've read his posts here and elsewhere (multiple aliases) and I'll just say this: My VP150 sounds lifelike and wonderful to me! I've never owned a nice sounding stereo system (let alone 7.1) 'til very recently and I’ve gotta say it’s SO NICE to have in my home.... Perfect antidote to a cold winter's night along with the warm fire, good wine, good music, good video, and heck it's a weekend night, too... (won't enumerate all my blessings here but rather just say I'm ***damn grateful***)

anyway, enough stream of conscious rambling tonight...

you're a grand crew here, all of yea ('cept GD, may he drift elsewhere)

over and g'nite

Re: So, what are you listening to/watching these days?
#77293 01/16/05 07:51 AM
local
local
This verson of the 1812 Overture with city church bells, a choir and real cannons sounds great:

Tchaikovsky: 1812 Overture/ Marche Slave ~ by Pyotr Il'yich Tchaikovsky, Alexander Borodin, Nikolay Andreyevich Rimsky-Korsakov (Audio CD)

As does:

Serious Hits ... Live! [LIVE] ~ Phil Collins

Re: So, what are you listening to/watching these days?
#77294 01/16/05 03:55 PM
axiomite
axiomite
If you're interested in DVD Concerts, without knowing your musical tastes I can't really "recommend" anything, but should any here catch your eye, you might investigate:

Diana Krall - Live In Paris

The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over, the DTS version.

Faith Hill - When the lights Go Down

Norah Jones - Live In New Orleans

Alison Krauss + Union Station - LIVE

Harry Connick, Jr. - Only You

Roy Orbison - Black & White Night. I mention this one with some trepidation, because I've not watched my copy yet. I purchased it based on several glowing reviews I read.

P.S, I share you enthusiasm for James Taylor. I, too, have the "Pull Over" DVD in my collection. I've seen him live in concert, and have always enjoyed his work tremendously.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Re: So, what are you listening to/watching these d
#77295 01/16/05 11:58 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
I borrowed my aunt's copy of Roy Orbison's Black & White Night and was underwhelmed. I thought all the guest stars on it would steal the show, but there wasn't much interplay between them. Kinda lackluster. Maybe it was just me, since I'm not that huge a fan of his solo stuff.

Re: So, what are you listening to/watching these d
#77296 01/17/05 12:16 AM
axiomite
axiomite
OH SURE! Spoil it for me, why doncha! Sheesh!

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020