Page 1 of 2 1 2
Center channel quandry
#82097 02/19/05 02:58 AM
ramzing Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Hello all!

I'm relatively new to HT and am in the process of putting together a sound system for a 20x14x8 room at home. I've pretty much decided on the M60t's for the mains and the qs8's for the surrounds. Where I'm having a problem is with the center. VP100 or VP150 or something else altogether? While I'm pretty sure axioms for the mains and surrounds are solid choices with excellent reviews all around, I'm not so sure about the VP100's or VP150. The VP150 in fact has gotten dinged pretty bad on some forums (and also on audioreview). Too many reviews on both the VP's saying they sound too thin or metallic, have off-axis problems etc. In fact one reviewer on audioreview goes on to say that axiom acknowledged the problem and suggested that the reviewer return the speaker (risk free 30 day trial). Of course, the risk free in-home trial isn't really risk free since you do have to pay for return shipping which really isn't that cheap when you consider the weight of these speakers.

Could this problem with the VP150's be just a case of it not being hooked up or placed right? Or are there better center channels out there? I would prefer to get the matching center channel from axiom (VP100 is a better fit sizewise) but these reviews have me hesitating a bit. Would I be better off going with a "safer" bet like the paradigm cc-370's?

Thanks!

rbk

Re: Center channel quandry
#82098 02/19/05 03:00 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Duck!!!

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#82099 02/19/05 03:25 AM
hobbyist
hobbyist
Not sure if this will help, but i replaced a klipsch RF3-II with a VP150. I was NEVER happy with the Klipsch and very concerned (for the same reasons you are) about going with the 150. I have had no absolutely no regrets. I do listen to a bunch of multi-channel SACD and DVDA and think the speaker really shines in these formats. Maybe the 150 is very sensitive to room type and placement? That said I wouldn't swap it for any other center out there. Just my 2 cents (what I have left after my recent axiom purchase). --Andy

#82100 02/19/05 03:51 AM
axiomite
axiomite
For a 20x14 room I would go with VP100 anyways...

In general people who thought the VP150 sounded bad found that it sounded great when they pulled it forward so it wasn't "behind the edge of the TV". It's really meant for bigger rooms where (coincidentally) placement is usually pretty easy so I guess it's possible that placement is touchy but most people don't notice because their room is big and they don't have to stuff the VP150 in close to cabinetry etc...

Just guessing though. I have a VP100 and haven't heard the 150.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
#82101 02/19/05 01:13 PM
devotee
devotee
ramzing,

There's nothing wrong with the VP-150. It sounds wonderful. Clean, clear, and loud.

All of those negative reviews are from the same 3 or 4 very vocal people posting their opinions multiple places. There's no design flaw.

In reply to:

Could this problem with the VP150's be just a case of it not being hooked up or placed right?

Bingo

M- M60s/VP150/QS8s/SVS PC-Ultra/HK630 Sit down. Shut up. Listen.
#82102 02/19/05 01:58 PM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
IMO, the best center ch speaker is no center ch speaker (Phantom). I've never been happy with any center speaker I've ever used. I could always tell that the dialog was coming from either above the TV or below it depending on where the speaker was placed (very annoying to me). Equally annoying to me is the fact that there is never a consistent blend/ timbre match between the mains and the center speaker (unless you have 3 identical speakers for the front) which for me, gives me the "I hear two distinctly different speakers blues".

Phantom center gives a seamless blend to the front sound stage and there is no localization - i.e. above or below the TV.

The argument for a center speaker is that it will anchor the sound to the TV for off axis listeners but, even if the dialog is anchored to the TV for off axis listeners, they still get a collapsed sound stage anyway. It would be golden to have a "sweet spot" for every listener but it just ain't gonna' happen.

BTW, I've heard the VP150 in another forum members home and I think that, by itself, it is a pretty damn good speaker. IMO, I think the problem that most people describe with it can be said about most center speakers and is indicative of the fact that it (and most all center speakers) simply do not match the mains anyway and therefore sound less robust, shall we say, by contrast to the mains.

You ask, "Could this problem with the VP150's be just a case of it not being hooked up or placed right?". Not being placed right is the correct question. IMO, the only correct placement for a center speaker would be to place it smack dab in the middle of the TV and even then you would still get a different sound than the mains.

Try the phantom mode, you might like it.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by mwc; 02/19/05 02:32 PM.

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
#82103 02/19/05 03:49 PM
hobbyist
hobbyist
There are better center channels out there, but how much do you want to spend?

I was little worried about the center channel as well based on some of the non-professional reviews I saw on other sites. Now that I have my VP150, I know not trust these sites!!! The VP150 is a damn good center channel. I am annoyed now when I read about people being so worried about the center channel based these so called reviews (I include myself too, I almost did not buy based on some of those comments). There is no way someone listening to properly set-up, fully functioning VP150 could say that this center sounds so horrible as some of the reviews make it out to be.

Check out the professional reviews. If the center channel was sooooo bad, you would think that at least one of them would mention it. They don't.

M60s (previously 22ti)
VP150
Epik Castle
Q8 Surrounds
#82104 02/19/05 08:41 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I have to second what nitrojiber said. I have the VP150 and think it's stunning. The dialogue is clear and concise and seems to be anchored right smack dab (forgive the technical jargon) in the middle of my screen.

I'll be the first to admit that I haven't done an a/b test with any other centre speaker so maybe I'm just lucky with my setup or easily pleased. I just have to say that sitting there and listening to the Axioms brings a HUGE smile to my face that won't go away.

In the end you have to be your own judge and select what appeals to YOU.

Getting to 2,000 posts; one year at a time vp160/qs8/qs4/SVS 2000/m60/Monolith 3x200 amp
#82105 02/20/05 02:47 AM
local
local
IMO you can't go wrong with the VP150. We have a difficult room to begin with but the 150 delivers crisp clear dialogue to all seating positions. Nothing thin, metallic or off axis in my system. Give it a shot-I think you'll be happy.

M22's, VP150, QS4's, HK 630, HSU VTF3-MKII
#82106 02/20/05 03:48 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
This is a "Thank You" to all of Y'all who responded in the positive toward the VP150, from someone who has also read the negative posts on other forums.

Alan had made a comment suggesting that my listening room is somewhat too large for my M3 as center in my new house. I have noticed that at times it does seem a bit strained on some passages but was somewhat reluctant to go with the VP150. Your responces to this thread has helped in My decisions at least, and who knows; maybe a few others as well.

Current finances and responsibilities preclude my getting a new center for a while-but now I have a pretty good plan for the future. Thank you all once again.

Rich.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020