Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Opinions on my new setup
#92301 04/27/05 01:32 PM
shareholder in the making
In reply to:

no. but does it say that on your box of cereal no. does it say that in car ads? no so if no other product is held to the tested double blind

But Jake, you're mixing apples and oranges here. While I agree that the buyer must accept responsibility here as well, you really can't easily compare these situations. Anyone can determine what breakfast cereals they prefer. Nothing fancy needs to be done...just buy a box of each and get a spoon. Anyone can test drive a car (or several) before they buy one. And there are easily discernable differences. It's not nearly so simple to determine whether a power cable really makes a difference without a complex testing situation.

In reply to:

even the total novice could spend five minutes go to any audio forum and hear the debate on cables then realize he needs more info to make his cable decision.

Right. But how, then, does he make that determination? Where does he get the info and what type of info is it? Hard evidence or hearsay? My concern is that there's nothing BUT heresay out there. No one, especially the marketers and manufacturers, provide evidence. The question is "why not"? If they're so sure that their products make a difference, they should be anxious to set up a controlled listening test. Yet, they never do. Seems obvious to me.

Jake, just so you know, I did read that you don't "believe" in power cords either, so I don't want this to come off as an attack on you! I'm just looking at it as a healthy debate. Everything's cool on my end! Maybe there's no reason to say that, but I figured I would anyway since we've all seen things get blown out of proportion on bulletin boards if someone takes something personally!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#92302 04/27/05 01:39 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Mark it is cool. no the cereal comparison may be closer to apples to apples than you think is trix the best tasting noone knows it about prefrence no scientific data to prove its subjective just like sound.
Jake

------------------------------------------------
Leave the gun, Take the canolis.
#92303 04/27/05 01:42 PM
aficionado
aficionado
i say,if youre happy with the product you purchase,the price you paid,and the differance it makes in your system,then its worth it.oppinions are good-your final decision is better,may youre wires bring your ears many,many years of happiness

#92304 04/27/05 03:52 PM
aficionado
aficionado
NeverHappy, I enjoy every one of your posts as well.

The notion of setting up a double-blind listening test to determine if people can differentiate one power cord from another is so absurd. I'm getting that "I'm an alien" feeling again.

#92305 04/27/05 04:51 PM
Let me just add in that when car manufacturers claim things, in the small print they have to state where they got the numbers. Check car ads where they talk about 0-60 times. In the small print, they talk about whether its their own tests, R&T, C&D, Motorcrap, etc.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters