Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Opinions on my new setup
#92271 04/26/05 09:10 AM
TNTguy Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
I just received the final piece to my HT puzzle. My HK 7300 receiver just arrived. I can't wait to hear this system! After months of heavy deliberation and very thorough research, I decided to go with a Bose Acoustimass system. The salesman I spoke to reiterated many times how it is, in his opinion, the best sounding system available at any price. I questioned that for a second, but if he is wearing a yellow Best Buy shirt, how can I argue with that? So needless to say I had to have it. I am so excited. I got all of the teeny satellite speakers and the small subwoofer for the unbeatable price of $3995 INCLUDING shipping. What a freaking awesome deal. Anyway, I can't wait to hear this thing. I should note that Bose now has part ownership of my kidneys if I can't make all the payments....

Ok I got a little carried away with that, it just wrote itself . Seriously, my question (might be just as silly as the above) is about the power cord that comes with the receivers. I have heard a few say that using a better cord can improve performance. Any of you tried this? Dang, maybe I should hand my money over to the Best Buy guy right now anyway. By the way, just so a few board members don't get jealous, I have the HK 635 and not the 7300.

Re: Opinions on my new setup
#92272 04/26/05 11:53 AM
veteran
veteran
Well i have the 525 an i upgraded teh Power Cord on it did it help ? i think so , will someone else ? i dunno i jus know i did it cause i wanted to to have piece of mind i have always been the type that u buy a better cable then it will improve your Sound , now my Speaker Cables are Mit 2's an i know definately that it made a difference in my Sound so good luck with whatever or if u decide to upgrade the Cable i know there will b others chiming in later to give you their thoughts.

If You Are Gonna Do It , Do It Right !!!
#92273 04/26/05 07:39 PM
shareholder in the making
Wow. Amazing day on the boards. The only thing we're missing is a speaker cable argument, or maybe green magic markers.

I seriously, seriously doubt that a power cable can make a difference. Think about all the cable coming into your home and through the walls. Is that "high quality cryogenic silver infused magic copper?" No. It's copper. That last 6 feet is not going to mysically clean the evil electrons out of the flow of good electrons.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#92274 04/26/05 08:08 PM
TNTguy Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Apparently everyone else didn't find the Bose thing near as funny as I did. Oh well. The evil electrons thing did remind me of pmbuko's classic post on "confusing the electrons." Freaking hilarious.
www.axiomaudio.com/boards/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=tech&Number=60993&page=3&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

#92275 04/26/05 08:13 PM
Oh, I found the Bose thing pretty funny. I just got my knickers in a twist over the power cords thing and forgot to comment on the Bose thing!

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#92276 04/26/05 08:20 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Great idea, not only did I upgrade my power cord, but also the wiring that it connects to inside the house, plus the electrial panels. In fact I now have one panel per circuit, plus I upgraded the wiring connecting the house to the electrical lines outside. In addition I have now petitioned my municipality to let me replace my power grid all the way back to Niagara Falls.

Where is my medication?

getting to 2,000 posts; one year at a time vp160/qs8/qs4/ep350/m60/m2200s
#92277 04/26/05 08:29 PM
TNTguy Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
This is what I was looking for. Consider the power cord upgraded. Best Buy guy here I come!

#92278 04/26/05 08:34 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

That last 6 feet is not going to mysically clean the evil electrons out of the flow of good electrons. [

True but with a better after market cord you should get better RFI and EMI resistance and also depending on the quality of the cord in question, better shielding. As you know most audio manufactures recommend not running analog cables etc across a stock power cord. With a better quality power cord you eliminate this worry. Does it make it sound any better? Unless you had interference in the first place, I doubt it but there are worse upgrades out there to do...........think isolation cones as one example.

On a side note, I have been upgrading my power cords long before I got into the business...................so let's keep the self promoting cracks to a minimum as that is not what I'm trying to do here!

#92279 04/26/05 08:39 PM
devotee
devotee
Coming from someone who has actually used after market powercords, yeah, adding them to the M&K S-150P's I had made a difference. The difference was subtle to me though, and was only worth it to me since I received a massive discount (75% off) on'em; yet, to many of my friends (who have actually used after market powercords in their systems) have said to have noticed a significant improvement. Will it improve the performance of your receiver enough that you will hear a difference? Maybe. It sure wouldn't hurt to try and find out. If your ears hear a difference...cool! If not, you've saved yourself some cash. Let us know how it turns out.

#92280 04/26/05 08:50 PM
aficionado
aficionado
This isn't totally relevant, but wtf.
My Good Guys has an "upgraded" demo set-up for auditioning speakers in-store. It features Halo amps in a bi-amp configuration, line conditioners, fancy wires, etc... With all that crap it still has a nasty hum/whine that my simple Onkyo/Denon set-up with standard power cords, etc..., lacks. Maybe all that crap is the cause of the whine?
Regardless, the salesworms think it's the cat's meow!
IMO, use the money saved on power cord/speaker wire upgrades and apply it to better speakers and sub.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (SirQuack), 1,005 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup