So, we've had a slow drip in the "guest" bathroom since we moved in last May...

Here is how it got fixed...

Leaky faucet --> Buy a new faucet
Buy a new faucet --> Buy a new sink
Buy a new sink --> Buy a new vanity
Buy a new vanity --> Need to lay 8 new tiles
Need to lay 8 new tiles --> Need to match grout
Need to match grout --> Need to resurface all grout to match
Need to resurface all grout to match --> Need to wait a long time for things to dry
Need to wait a long time for things to dry --> Weekend shot
Weekend shot --> Last minute run to hardware store to get parts for drain
Last minute run to hardware store to get parts for drain --> Rush to buy stuff
Rush to buy stuff --> Drain doesn't (can't) line up correctly
Drain doesn't (can't) line up correctly --> Leaky drain

So now I've got from a slowly dripping faucet to a very drippy drain pipe. But the tile, grout, vanity, sink, and faucet all LOOK good.

The drain from the sink (pipe that comes straight down) doesn't and couldn't line up with the P trap. The previous people had the bathroom plumbed for an offset (to the left) sink, and then put in an angled PVC connector to reach a centered sink. Well, I couldn't take that connector out because it extending into the wall cavity. Because of that, even though it replaced the P-trap and everything else, it physically can't go "back" (towards the wall) any more. That 1/4" difference is preventing the rubber gasket under the drain hole part of the sink itself from sealing correctly.

So for now, I have the sink top pushed away from the wall 1/4" and I have a bucket under the drain just in case. I warned the family about not pushing the sink back towards the wall and that it wasn't secured down yet, but at least they can use it to wash their hands quick.

I heard of some sort of flexible connector, I will need to get that and replace part of the "down-pipe" that comes out of the drain area of the sink so that it isn't stressing that gasket.

Anyway, it has been fun... not really. I did get a chance to brush up on my tiling (lack of) skills. Turned out pretty good. The previous people, for some reason, chipped out about 1/2" of the tile right where the previous vanity went. I am not sure why they didn't just have the vanity on top of the tile. Because of that, it added a ton of time and work. I had to chip out (air tools to the rescue) the broken tiles, get rid of the old mortar, and tile away in hopes that it would line up. It did. I guess that I will use that experience, plus previous experience with 1 large tile job that I helped out with a few years back, to have the confidence to tile our basement bathroom...

Farewell - June 4, 2020