Hi,

Sorry in advance for this long post.

I have read just about every M60 vs. M80 thread and just can't make up my mind which to try.

I have a pair of M2 v2-1/2's (with a small sub) that I absolutely love as near-field monitors on my computer-based DAW (pro audio recording / mastering rig) and would like to get that kind of accurate, full sound on a larger scale as L & R mains for my HT/music listening system.

I have tried my Mackie HR624 MkII's recording mains in that system but they seem too "clinical" and "dry". They don't have any nice "bite" or "presence" to them like the little M2's do while staying accurate. Hence my desire to try the larger Axioms.

AVR is a Denon 3808. Sub is an original SVS PCI cylinder so bass is not a problem. Room is very well treated (pretty dead actually) with Auralex foam and LENRD bass traps.

The speakers will be about 7 feet apart and the listening distance is 7 feet. Back of couch is 18" from back (treated) wall. Will this be far enough for those multiple drivers to "blend" and have a good soundstage and imaging?

Looking at the NRC response graphs, they are both fairly flat (although overall not as flat as the M2's!).

The M60 seems to have a very broad dip in the mids and a broad rise between 80 Hz and 250 Hz.

The M80 looks a bit ragged between 100-200 Hz but appears flatter overall. Also, something about the use of 2 mids and 2 tweeters bothers me as well as that gets away from the "point source rule" for imaging. The Mackie's do image very well.

Bottom line for me is accurate but smooth mids, no harsh highs, great imaging and nice full musical lower mids/upper bass without sounding chesty on male voices. Basically the M2 "scaled-up".

What do you Axiom experts think?

Thanks!

--M--