Quote:

the differences are cosmetic and a relatively minor feature or two. In particular, Yamaha addresses this directly and distinctly in one of the informative FAQs

I concur.

at one time I spent some time thinking about this.
I came to the conclusion that a company could manufacture on the same assembly line, and use different parts, possibly only ones with better tolerences, on this same line. they could even build them the same and assign the model numbers by lot according to spc quality data. There are endless possibilites i could never consider. they all have one thing in common. they all cost money.

What I dont believe could happen is for a company to build similar products, yet spend additional dollars on one subset of the products, yet not attempt to differentiate the products to the consumer. Where is the return on investment ?

Ultimately, I feel this is done to protect the high end retailer, whom the manufacturer has had a relationship with for years. It gives them a unique product, and keeps them from having to compete on price with the big box retailers. I have no doubt the high end retailer has greater expenses. For one thing he *should* have more knowledgable salespeople whom he compensates (commission) to retain their employment. I also believe that some of the same salespeople will find it necessary to provide a further differentiation of the products to keep food on the table. Not necessarily lying, for in fact the wattage is measured and quoted differently.

hth
Randy

Axiom M80, Ep600, Qs8, VP150, Crown XLI 2500 , DBX Driverack PA2, Focusrite Scarlet 2i4