Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The point is, when you audition speakers in an audio salon, unless they are the only speakers in the room, you are not only hearing those speakers, but all the speakers in the room. Just a thought.

In the sense that each object in the room changes its acoustic signature, yes I'd agree. But if you're saying the the sound waves emanating from the active speakers are causing sympathetic vibrations in the drivers contained in inactive speakers and that those vibrations cause excursion significant enough to be audible, then I'm going to have to doubt it.

OK, here we have the triumph of theory over experience. I listen to the Mitsubishi 65" Diamond HD with its internal speakers only and enjoy a sound stage that is frequently as wide as the location of my QS8s and sometimes so wide that material is audible from behind me ... where my M55s are located.

In my old 5.1 set-up, I had my Sonies acting as rears and my Bose 6.1s for fronts. Never, ever did I hear anything that resembled a 3D soundstage in 2.1 (no matter what I played) even though I had rears. Today, with the M80s and the QS8s, there is no doubt that I have a 3D soundstage in 2.1 with certain recordings. The differences of course can be attributed to room acoustics (since I've significantly changed my basement) and the M80s. I doubt very much that my QS8s are being passively driven somehow and contribute to the soundstage. Of course I suppose I can always remove them to see what the effect would be but that's a real pain in the butt ,