Having represented a couple of mid to high end retailers in recent years, this is a subject near and dear to my heart. Whether it be electronics or speakers, after all these years,in my opinion, ideally unless you can get the product in to your home for a test run(most retailers won't allow it), it is honestly very difficult to make an informed decision, especially if you are on a budget. Zimm brings up an interesting point of listening to higher end "high-priced" speakers for a start. I have about a dozen or so mid to high end retailers within a fifteen minute drive of my home and although this may be different in other areas, a common thread among all of them is that they separate out there high-end high priced(in this case speakers)models placing them in their own environment isolating them from the less expensive lines. In this particular case this set-up only allows you to make comparisons(assuming the dealer has switching capabilities) to products in similar price categories, and I can assure you this whole scenario is intentional. It should be noted in the case of the high-priced product in addition to substantial distributor and retail mark-up, you pay a considerable amount more for what is usually much more elaborate cabinetry. Unlike Axiom with its varying degrees of optional finishes, you generally have no option with the Wilson, B&W, Martin Logan, etc.

I have mentioned a couple of times in earlier threads that in their infancy, Paradigm, PSB AND Axiom did all their initial R&D at the NRC in Ottawa, Ontario with it's then ground-breaking unique anechoic chamber and the goals of ALL these companies was to design and manufacture speakers that were as neutral and transparent as possible, so if you are listening to any of these Canadian built speakers, you are essentially getting a somewhat similar sound. Paradigm and PSB's sell thru retailers, Axiom, obviously does not, so depending on what finish you chose, you are getting a similar sounding speaker to the others but usually for noticeably less money. Where the companies part ways in their philosophy is that Paradigm and PSB have chosen to offer three or four lines of speakers in different price ranges while Axiom has gone basically the "single" line route with a range of sizes. The exception being their subwoofers. Having said all that, I have owned AND listened to dozens of speakers over the years and IF objectively comparing "similar" sized enclosures with "comparable" driver configurations, regardless of price, you really can't go wrong with Axiom.