Originally Posted By: StuntGibbon
It's amazing what the difference is between a properly powered speaker like the m80 is at high volumes and other systems not built for full volumes.

...if your amp and rig can keep up with big dynamic changes.. wow.

Subject: It's all about me (now that we are clear on that...;o)

I know 'properly powered' is not a black and white answer. But this is the crux of what I am trying to discern in my consideration of if and how many dollars, required to invest (level of AVR) to get a similar sound as Micah heard at Steve's. I fully understand, the power Steve is supplying may well be way out of my affordability to performance ratio (damned separates!!).

It is, of course, a very subjective judgment. But being that Micah has described, to my limited knowledge, a very good SQ experience, I'd love to hear others describe how they feel their AVR to SQ compares to what Micah has described. Just for the sake of this discussion, if you'll allow, the scale would be, Micah's description as, say a '10' and say the cheapest/oldest 5.1 AVR as a '1'. Also, for my selfish purposes, if we could limit this AVR level discussion to powering M80's or M60's (including 5.1/7.1 with 2/4 QS8's would be helpful too). Also include the room size your evaluation relates too. For (all about) me, relating to room size of 31x23, 6,000 sq' would be much appreciated. I don't know if it will be easy to separate attachment to our own set ups, in trying to be as objective in our subjective judgments, but that would be the goal. \:\)

Again, this is a totally selfish request for information! But there may be one or two other 'learners' who would benefit from a discussion of AVR level to SQ. Of course, that would be tertiary to my own selfishness... but whatever. ;\)

I guess, hoping not to color the opinions but to be more specific, my actual (selfish) question is: Your opinion of where on the 1-10 scale desribed would the 1909, 2809, 3808 rank, given MY conditions.

PS. I am fully ready to be bombarded with reply starting out: "Dave, Dave, Dave... \:\( "

Last edited by davekro; 03/11/09 05:49 PM. Reason: PS

Dave

"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice they're not."