Originally Posted By: ghost271

I use the logic that although the initial investment may be expensive, in the long run it pays itself off. I use to goto movies a lot, but now to save money(and an overall better experiance) we watch them at home.

Logic is often the worst way to sway someone to your point of view. People usually make decisions at an emotional level and then use reason to justify them. If you want someone to agree with you find an emotional hook to snare them and then use reason (logic) to help them justify their decision.

In your case if you have any friends with nice home theaters work a deal to start inviting each other over for movie nights. Your wife may then be more receptive to upgrading if what they have gives a substantially better experience than your system and she has a propensity for “keeping up with the Joneses.”

Another tack might be to start going to movies and using a babysitter. The whole babysitter thing may give her angst causing her want to stay home for “quality” movies.

Basically, think of an emotional reason that would motivate her and then create a situation to leverage it letting her lead herself to the decision rather than trying to push/pull her to it.

I can already hear the cries “that it’s manipulative and selfish.” To which I answer “yes” and “maybe” respectively. It’s definitely selfish if you manipulate people for selfish reasons, but not IMO if you do it for that person’s or the group’s greater good in which case we usually call it leadership.

So ask yourself how high upgrading your HT is on the list of things your family needs. In short don’t loose sight of the forest for the trees. Peter and Fred offer sage advice in that your goals now focus around the common good and to reach them you need a realistic financial plan. Before embarking on an HT upgrade project I would create an overall financial plan to ensure you’re family is protected in these rough economic times. Then see what you can afford to start putting aside for fun things.

Cheers,
Dean

P.S. I’m divorced so what do I know.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1