Pmbuko and davidsch, I completely agree. I didn't want to come across as pouting that my days of frivilous spending are gone. Or that I'm upset that I have to spend money on responsiblethings.

My intent was rather at the shock of going from one extreme to the next in regards to extra spending cash. As a matter of fact, last month I had to use my saving bonds to pay $400 in unexpected vet bills, and some of my income tax return is going to buy us a bed frame.
In regards to the 'logic' in my thinking, it was for myself. Not to convince anyone else. That was simply the way I looked at it.

As Pmbuko pointed out about the 'our money' relationship I agree and disagree to a point. My wife and I are both bus drivers and make the same amount of money. We split whatever our total monthly bills are(actually I pay more as she's on Maternity leave) and whatever is left after that we get to use as coffee money for ourselves. If she wants to save that money for a year and buy a $600 purse then she can, and I have no right telling her otherwise. And vice versa. However, emergencies do come up, or hot water tanks need replacing, then the money for that new reciever I had been saving for goes to that. My wealthy Uncle and Aunt always did things that way and had their seperate accounts and it saved them a LOT of fighting. As long as the bills and needs of the family were met first, then there were no issues.

Phew. That was a long winded rant. So do your kids love your hobby and theater or video games ? I remember the first time my wife brought our daughter into the theater and I had Kung Fu Panda playing. The look of awe and fascination on her face was priceless. I look forward to pulling out the sleeping bags for movie night and building forts all over the house !

Sanyo Z5 HD Projector w/100" screen
Yamaha RXV-663,BD30,HD-A30
Toshiba 55SV670U
M60s
VP150
QS8s