[WARNING: If you dislike over analyzing information... "Move Along! Nothing to see here."]
But if you major in 'too much (analysis) is never enough!' read on. Charles, come on in. The water is warm, just how you like it.

Back 7.1 QS8'S
The next things for me to decide on is if I should tilt my back QS8's slightly. Also, any recommendation on either moving Q's any further than 5' behind the primary list. pos. -OR- altering the 12' apart spacing? (fronts are 8 1/2' apart, SL & SR are 23' apart) At 12' apart the backs are ≈ in line with the outside ends of the couch seating positions.

Alan, I know the QS8's are VERY forgiving in their location, but would you have a recommendation on distance behind list. pos. and spacing apart, in my large room?

On, 'to tilt or not to tilt'... My non scientific WAG might think that tilting Q's down a few degrees might:
- let tweeters reflect off side walls down to the ear level as opposed to reflecting around mostly in the upper part of the room. (no idea if much of the highs would actually stay up there!)
- top driver. Rather than reflecting straight off the ceiling, would a slight tilt forward cause more of that drivers reflected sound from ceiling to go more directly to the listening pos.?
- bottom driver. It would be directed slightly back away from the list. area, so I'd guess most of it's sound would be dissipated. But not much, if at all more than it firing directly down to the (hardwood) floor??

I am thinking the best chance I have at trying to hear any subtle differences between 1' foot or so moves of the back Q's would be to pull the banana plugs for all speakers from the1909, except SBL & SBR, them play a good surround BD like Wall-E that engages the surrounds a lot. Any other ideas on how to demo different back Q locations gladly accepted. \:\)

OCD in full gear!

Dave

"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice they're not."