Originally Posted By: Captain4105
I think Zimm's comments describe the thoughts I had relative to showing M80's at their finest. I have a very good and critical ear and am sensitive to high transients and detailed mid-range inner voices and just about everything else.

CRAP. Lee just unintentionally threw me under the bus...before backing up and then speeding away. Now JohnK is going to say those of us with golden ears should definitely buy the more expensive gear...as he snickers! \:\(

There is a gap of agreement on the issue of power needs, but my research (um, well that is a strong word) indicates those with loud (95db and up) comfort levels need stronger amps to keep those 15 and 30 and 50 db spikes well controlled. John accurately notes hearing damage can (does) occur at those volumes after some period of time. But if I don't turn it up, I can't hear over that constant buzz in my ears!

But my enjoyment of music has, since childhood, been tied to feeling music not purely hearing it. I love the feel of guitar strings being plucked, or drums thumping in my gut - the way I feel at a live performance, even with soft Jazz. I don't get that at 75db in my system. It is all a matter of taste - I mean preference, not that John has no taste. As Alan said, "JohnK's comments notwithstanding, I always applaud buying lots of power output." There must be some reason for that - well besides Axiom making a 1,000 beast of an amp.

(Was that long enough for everyone to forget the golden ear inference???? )

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire