Hi Captain,

Did we get any idea of your room dimensions (length, width, height) and how loud you like to listen? My own living room is about 2200 cu. ft (19 x 13 x 9 ft) and when I listen to classical or opera, I sometimes like orchestral peaks to hit 96 dB to 100 dB SPL (C weighting) where I'm sitting. The latter can be between 9 ft and 12 feet back. I have M80s as well as M22s, either pair of which I can run with an EP500 subwoofer.

The M80s on their own have wonderfully deep bass that goes deeper and there's greater output than the M60s. I'd call the bass from the M60s "very good". I would not say the M80s are more detailed than the M60s, however the 80s are a bit smoother through the midrange than the 60s.

Actually, the M22s have a little more detail than the M80s but we are talking nuances here--the difference is only audible with immediate A/B comparisons, which my system has. Conversely, the M22s can sound a little harder on a poor recording than the M80s; e.g. a recording that has exaggerated or EQ'd mids and treble.

You don't "need" the B&K's power output unless your room is much larger than mine and you listen at levels louder than those quoted above. Some of my Axiom colleagues listen to rock at what I call "deafening" levels--well over 100 dB SPL, in which case you do want very large amplifiers.

Regards,
Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)