Originally Posted By: JohnK
Charles, you appear to be growing personally irritated(including "resembling" a remark I've made several times here in the past and which wasn't in any way directed at you)over a relatively simple point of audio technology which certainly isn't some mere personal opinion.

I'm not irritated John, and take no personal offense from a debate over audio signals - sorry if the cold transcript of text took on an erroneous tone.

But understand that you constantly inject that many of us don't hear what we think we hear - so debate is inevitable. I'm hoping to learn why. And I do resemble the remark (that's a quote from Garfield the Cat!) and don't mind that at all. I'm happy to own up to my learning curve. But I prefer attempts at imparting knowledge, as Chris has tried, as opposed to repeated "their/you're just wrong" dismissals.

I know you must tire of answering the uninformed questions on this board (I'm just talking about mine Mark, not yours!). And you clearly have a very solid grasp of complex issues involved here, but you don't have to respond. If you are going to point out our my error, teach me. We all know your view about power and amp equality, and respect it, but bring us up to speed.

I'm sure you would agree that your "you're not getting the point" comment was more audience specific, and to that point had only been backed by your continued rejection of the industry use of the worked clipped. Clipping would be a bad thing in terms of a product description. The definition you use is clearly not the one used by the industry mags - I get that loud and clear.

But you have failed to explain, to my satisfaction anyway, why companies would be happy to have a false claim made about their product. A claim that would encourage the mass of less-informed-than-you people reading to think comparison of the lab tests would show some meaningful distinction between products A and B. If I sold dogs and an industry "expert" called it a cat, I'd object.

And I still don't understand why the clipping of only the very last final point (a tiny amount of information) of the peak could not cause a small amount of distortion. Thus, I don't know why QSC flashes the clip light at .1% if any clipping makes several percent of THD.

I'll add the book to my reading list. Hopefully I can figure out why a more powerful amp sounds better than my Denon. That's the one thing I'm certain about (after further testing last night \:\/ . My ears still cringe expecting the vocal peaks to be harsh on DMB at Central Park on All Along the Watchtower, but now they just keep climbing smoothly (as long as playing in stereo).

Thank the audio Gawds for that bag of pixie dust, I really enjoyed it last night.

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire