I would assume that this has been an issue here before but have not found anything that may help.

I bought a new TV last week. My AVR is a Yamaha RXV1400. It is about 6 years old and does not support HDMI. I was initially thinking a new AVR, but with help from this forum and seeing the prices to replace my AVR, I decided to bypass it and connect my cable box and Blu Ray directly to the TV via HDMI and run digital lines for audio to my receiver. (My receiver supports 5.1 analog, but not my cable box nor my Blu Ray, so this is currently my best audio option)

Of course one known drawback for this is when I switch between sources, I have to swith the AVR for audio and the TV for video. I am OK with this though for now.

Here is the problem that I have come across; When I swith from HDMI-1(cable) on the TV to HDMI-2(Blu Ray) to watch BluRay, the player recognizes there is an audio out and sends audio correctly to the AVR. BUT, when I switch back to HDMI-1 for cable viewing, the cable box attepts to use the HDMI for the audio signal. I have to go into cable box settings to correct the problem. Turning cable box on/off has no change, but between sources, I have to reset the cable box audio each time.

My question is, is there a way/shortcut/trick to avoid this? My cable box is a couple years old, I think, maybe a newer box would be more up to date to handle such a dilemma? (I have Time Warner)

Any suggestions?

Thanks for all help!

Jeff

Panasonic TC-P50G15, DMP-BD60
Yamaha RX-V1400
Axiom M60's,VP150,QS8's
Hsu VTF2