Originally Posted By: jakewash
I would imagine the box is set(not changeable) so that when it senses an HDMI cable the rest of the system shuts down forcing you to use the HDMI, gotta love that copy protection, stick with the component video.

I believe this is the case, although it frustrates me.

Originally Posted By: alan
Hi jfoxtrot,

As Jakewash has suggested, you'd be better off using the component video output from your cablebox. By the way, it will be years away before cable and the broadcasting systems go to 1080p because of the bandwidth requirements and the installed base of 720p/1080i broadcast equipment.

Thanks Alan, this makes me feel a little better. \:\/

Originally Posted By: casey01
I have the SA explorer 4250HD cable box which is similar to yours but without the PVR and cable card connections so the menu set-up should be similar if not identical.The set-up you are striving for "does work" in my system so we will have to look at the detailed settings. Firstly, since you are using the receiver for all your sound, I am assuming you have disengaged the TV monitor's speakers.

Next, going in to the "settings" menu, ie. pressing the settings button twice to get the detailed set-up menu in which you scroll up and down the left-hand side, check the digital audio out setting (it will show HDMI, Dolby Digital or other) confirm it is set to Dolby Digital NOT HDMI. In addition, your picture format setting (which should show Auto DVI, upconvert 1 and 2 and fixed) should be set to upconvert since that setting deals best with non-HD programming. 1080i HD channels will pass through as normal. Remember with any of these settings, you must press the "A" button to lock them in.

Thanks Casey, I have done exactly this. The frustrating part is when I switch from one HDMI source to another or turn the TV off (????!) the cable box will switch that setting back to HDMI!

You're right, it shouldn't be this complicated. I have already switched back to component cable. BUT, I would love to solve the problem, just because, I agree, I am sure there are plenty of people running this type of setup with out the probs.

Panasonic TC-P50G15, DMP-BD60
Yamaha RX-V1400
Axiom M60's,VP150,QS8's
Hsu VTF2