Originally Posted By: grunt

@ Terry - don’t discount QS8s as surround speakers even for music.

Oh, I don't! I'm planning on using M2's for my bedroom surrounds since, I believe, that the QS8s would create too much dispersion in that smaller space. I'm currently using Tannoy PBM 6.5's for my surrounds in that space and they work really well. I think they are probably comparable to an M3 as far as the sound goes. The M2's would make an ideal match for rears in this set-up.

Now, my living room is much better suited for the QS8s.

You are correct about SACD/DVD-A multi channel music.

As the dust is starting to settle on multichannel music mixing for the end user, it looks like music will always be the ugly stepchild of HT. Most people are not willing or capable of setting up 5 matching full range speakers (the initial ideal) for music listening. But many people do have HT set-ups (and if they are smart, Axioms, but I digress... \:\) ...) so, we as engineers/producers, are trying to account for the typical HT system, knowing that it will probably be smallish speakers with a subwoofer/center channel (but hopefully full range mains), in a 5.1 configuration.

I mean, you should hear the debates/arguments for/against using the LFE in music mixing. Or how/when to use bass management. So many variables to consider! Most people have crap playback anyway, surround audio makes it that much harder to mix for a real world scenario.

So, HT is the only thing that is keeping multichannel high definition audio alive!

And I loves me some multichannel music...

BTW: Quaudiophiliac is very cool, but way too short! I was a kid, but I remember when the first Quad vinyl formats were happening. My how far we've come! Wish Frank were still alive, he would be all over this current technology, and years ahead of it...

"Art is making something out of nothing and selling it."
---Frank Zappa