Originally Posted By: grunt
I played my M80s for two hours at 100dB from 11-12 feet w/o shutting down or clipping my Onkyo 3007. I did get it to shut down five minutes later by bumping it up to 105dB. I never got my Denon 2807 to shut down with my M80s but I couldn’t push it as hard because it would start clipping.

The shutdowns Hay is talking about are specific to certain Emotiva amps mainly the XPA-2 AFAIR. Emo claims it’s because the M80s dip down to 2ohms, however I don‘t see aht in the impedance graphs. I believe at least one Emo owner here had his XPA modified by Emo with a different protection circuit so it doesn’t suffer the shutdown problem. AFAIK not all Emo amps have this issue with the M80s just one or a few.

Grunt, I originally was going to use my 806, because I was told by Onkyo it would be fine, just change the ohm setting, but as I read, it began to worry me and thus stumbling on Emotiva, my bad. But, I do believe it will improve my current system considerably. The 806 doesn't do a bad job at that. And in your first statement is pretty much what I have read in all the forums with shutdowns and clipping.