ChrisR

Ah... You have hit on another area where there could (will be) controversy! As a believer that good speaker wire is just plain copper wire (12 to 14 gage), I have a slightly different opnion about interconnects (ICs) (whatever happened to the good old term of patch cords?) Well, anyway...

I believe that most equipment that comes with ICs, comes with pretty cheap ones. And IF you have a fairly high end system (meaning lots of $ invested), then you should "consider" some good quality ICs. I say consider because if you are not experiencing any audible problems or sound degradation, then I wouldn't bother.
But let's say you have the "bug" to upgrade. You go out and buy that new $1000+ HT receiver, and/or a $500 DVD player, then why not spring for some really good ICs?

So, what is decent or a reasonable amount to spend? Ah! Now we really get down to the nitty gritty! So...How much do you WANT to spend?

Well, (for example) if you trip down to a Circuit City and look at their Monster (brand) cables - you will find at least 3 different "quality" (and price) levels. Which do you buy? Well just ask the salesman! (And you will probably end up with the most expensive!) That's a waste of $ if you ask me! I say shop around and buy what you are comfortable with. The only TRUE way to tell if there is any difference in the "sound" is to do a double blind listening test (as already pointed out in this thread). And for most of us, that's pretty difficult. Again - copper is copper! IMO - What really counts here is quality of construction, connectors (gold plating is good!) and shielding/grounding. Once you pay for ICs with a good connector and shielding - the actual wiring will (should) be just fine. Stick with a brand known for quality and price in the middle of the pack, and you should be a happy (and somewhat frugal) audophile.

So, if you choose - let us know what you decide.

Good Luck!

Randyman