Originally Posted By: exlabdriver
I spent this afternoon listening to my birthday present (today I'm 1 year short of being an official 'Senior Old Phart') from my daughter - Wynton Marsalis & Eric Clapton 'play the blues' CD. It comes as a CD & DVD set & contains different genres of the blues (all selected by Clapton) with big band, jazzy themes.

This CD definitely qualifies as stunning - highly recommended. It was superbly recorded over 3 live concerts at The Lincoln Center in April 2011 featuring outstanding musicians playing superbly throughout. It sounds really fine through my tube amp with no digital harshness whatsoever. Why can't they produce all CDs this way?

The standout track for me is a long version of 'Layla' featuring Clapton's vocals & wonderful guitar surrounded by horns of all kinds - absolutely brilliant. I never thought that I'd hear that tune being played that way.

One nice thing about live recordings such as this, is that the selections all end properly instead of fading out as is found far too often on normal commercial recordings.

Now, I have to fire up the DVD, watch the concert, shake the house & have some birthday cake with ice cream...

TAM

I listened to that CD last night as well. Good stuff!